Surf Kayaking / Multi-Purpose Boat - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-04-2012   #1

Belfair, Washington
Paddling Since: 2012
Surf Kayaking / Multi-Purpose Boat

I am looking for any ideas about boats that would cover several areas of use. I currently live in Washington State and surf kayaking is not far from me, also I have multiple rivers/creeks at my disposal. I'm getting into the sport and looking at all the different boats is a bit frustrating. Being a bigger guy at 6'1" and 230 I'd like to find one boat that will fit everything I'd like to do. Any ideas

JC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012   #2

ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Dagger Axiom 9.0
great river-runner; fast, comfy, holds a line and ferry but still turns, rolls about as easy as any boat made and it's a surfing machine
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #3

Belfair, Washington
I've been thinking I may do more rivers and creeks than playing in the ocean. I've asked several questions to Jackson, Liquid Logic, Wave Sport and Dagger, what is the difference between a River boat and a Creek boat, and can you still use them in the ocean? I still don't have a clear answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012   #4

ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
JC77,
Since your just starting out you don't need a creek boat. Just like it says creek boats are specialized designs built to handle steep creeks. Creeking is usually the last aspect of boatings sub-niches you are likely to explore, It's best (mandatory) to have a wealth of experience on boatings other niches (for example,river-running, play-boating, ocean surfing)to learn the boat control and rescue skills needed for safe creeking.
Most people start out with a river-runner or river-running play-boat, then take a class or two, then hook-up with other beginners and away you go.
Since you are in Washington, google; professor paddle it's Washington's mountain buzz. Once there click on forums, then click on main whitewater forum, where you will find at the top of the page a discussion on getting out as a beginner
Boating has many aspects and it can be confusing but take small steps and have fun and before you know it you'll have it down
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC77 View Post
I've been thinking I may do more rivers and creeks than playing in the ocean. I've asked several questions to Jackson, Liquid Logic, Wave Sport and Dagger, what is the difference between a River boat and a Creek boat, and can you still use them in the ocean? I still don't have a clear answer.
This page: http://www.coloradokayak.com/Shop-No...ewater-Kayaks/, has good descriptions of the different types of kayaks, their uses, and what makes them unique from one another (there used to be a good video on there too, but it doesn't look like it works anymore).

Personally I would recommend a Jackson Fun, but there are lots of options out there. Demo'ing is the only way you will find out what you like.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012   #6

Columbus, Indiana
I second the Axiom. I've got one.

The bow has most of the volume. It's enough volume to punch holes and be comphy, and it's basically a surf board hahaha. LOVE mine.

It does have some hard edges on it, though. If you're new, you're probably going to catch edges and get window shaded a few times. You'll learn to mind your edges really quick, though.

The stern is also pretty catchy. It'll sink really easy in squirly water, and it'll stern squirt when you don't want it to if you're not leaning forward. But if you're leaning forward, you'll be good to go. It's not the boat for you if you just want to sit back and bob down the river. You have to be on top of it.

And it does hold a strait line really well. It's also a pretty long boat, and it's FAST.
seedubs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012   #7

Belfair, Washington
Great info, thanks for the help!

Tags
beginner kayaking, recomendation, washington kayaking