Surf Colorado !! - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-27-2007   #1

Surf Colorado !!

Have you ever heard of Riverboarding? NO - not the riverboarding where you float down a river on a big foam sled. Banshee Riverboards along with Colorado Kayak Supply will be demoing and giving lessons on High Speed, Upstream riverboarding. These riverboarders ride small surfboards going upstream on rivers at speed of 30+ mph. Snowboarders, Wakeskaters and Skateboarders can now do all the cool boardsport tricks from their other sports (Big Spins, Shuv-its, Kick Flips, etc.) with this new sport.

Surf the River!!

The public demo will be at the whitewater park in Buena Vista, CO. on Wednesday starting at 5:30pm. Everyone is welcome to attend and wetsuits, helmets and life jackets will be provided.

For more info they can contact Chad Smith at 208 891 8183.

Banshee Riverboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2007   #2

Sweet, this is exactly what our rivers need! I was just thinking that Colorado rivers are way too nice and quiet, pristine and beautiful and thay kayaking on them has been entirely too lonely. It's about time somebody resovled this issue for us.
Old 06-27-2007   #3

Golden, Colorado
First Ascent

I am currently training for the first ascent of Supermax on my new riverboard.

I plan to tie off above the top eddy and rocket myself up through the notch with a toegrab flourish.

I'll post the pics.

-El Flaco describing OBJ
jaydrury is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2007   #4

Golden Paddling Since: 2005
What I want to know is what creates the upstream velocity? Are you towed behind a car, attach a hi speed winch to a tree upstream or do you stick a rocket up your ass?

Seriously, I want some details. I wish I could see them demo, if for nothing else than the carnage.
teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007   #5

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by De la Boot View Post
Sweet, this is exactly what our rivers need! I was just thinking that Colorado rivers are way too nice and quiet, pristine and beautiful and thay kayaking on them has been entirely too lonely. It's about time somebody resovled this issue for us.
pretty lame comment man. I checked out the Banshee riverboarding thing a couple weeks ago it's actually pretty fun. If you're near BV you should check it out, who knows maybe you'll pick up a hobby and have better things to do than bag on someone trying to encourage a new sport.

Paul
PaulGamache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007   #6

Golden, Colorado
HOME**** CONTACT US**** PRODUCTS

Looks like a bungee cord system. That's a lot of potential energy. Looks cool but dangerous. I wouldn't stand anywhere near that system. My first concern would be what happens if the rider loses control of their board when they are trying to stand up and there is now 200 ft. of stretched bungee cord attached to a 10 lb. board. I imagine it would become a missile. My second concern is what happens if the anchor point or rope or bungee, or etc. fails and the cord comes at the rider or at any spectators? If that hit you in the balls I think you might die.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007   #7

Indian Hills, Colorado
Saw it at BV. Cool as hell:

Bungee attached to secure object on shore.
Person holds on to bungee and riverboard, which looks like a skimboard.
Person submerges in river and current pulls person downstream.
Bungee stretches
...and stretches
...and stretches
Person stands up on board, gets lift by orienting the board with nose up, tail down.
Bungee rebounds--ziiiing!
Person holds on and carves up the river as the bungee contracts.

It's really cool lookin
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007   #8
Len

Buena Vista, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee Riverboards View Post
The public demo will be at the whitewater park in Buena Vista, CO. on Wednesday starting at 5:30pm.
How bout a weekend demo?

Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007   #9

Silverthorne, Colorado
A clever idea. I took a look at the "101 video."
But very short rides and other much more "exhilarating" ways to enjoy rivers around here might not make Colorado the ideal market for this particular invention.
I would guess flatter regions with deep, relatively fast moving rivers might provide for a few hours of amusement though, or maybe wakeboard enthusiasts without a boat on some Class 2 river stretches will go for it, even in Colorado.

And I admit it may be more fun than it looks. I guess once you got the hang of it, you could repeat the rides pretty quickly, by never letting go of the board.
I suspect the board tends to drag and get slowed down in water a bit if you lose your grip. It probably doesn't sail through the air trying to crack skulls.
I could be wrong, so I would stay downstream just to be safe the first few times I watched someone do this up close.

Even with incredible success, I doubt there is any risk that we will have rapids and playparks disturbed by this activity.
Good luck to you. I hope you sell tens of thousands.
-Dan
Old 06-27-2007   #10

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
As somebody that does most of his paddling right here Salida...and as a result gets a little bored sometimes...I am super interested. It looks super cool and a great low water activity when it is hot as hell and you want to get wet. I am going to try it out for sure.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote