superfun classic outfitting - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-12-2007   #1

superfun classic outfitting

Hi all. I'm new to the sport. I just recieved my first boat, a Jackson Superfun Classic. I'm 255lbs, 6'2" and have a size 13 foot. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to put the foot foam block in. My feet are almost all the way to the front as it is. I can't imagine how the foam fits in there(even if trimmed and shaved). I hope I'm not too big for this boat. Can anyone help a newbie out?

ole_nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2007   #2

I doubt you are too big for the boat. People 6'5" can fit in the boat.

The store/person you bought the boat from should be the ones to help you. Generally a boat purchace includes outfitting. And don't all Jackson boats use the nice foam bags? They are easy.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #3

Well, I got it online for a good deal. It was a package deal. The classic superfuns don't come with Happy Feet, just a foam block. I fit in it just fine, just not with the foam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2007   #4

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
And don't all Jackson boats use the nice foam b
The classic series is just the basics, and different plastic then their regular series. you are well in the range for this boat! Just do what you need to make some kind of a solid place for your feet to rest. If it only takes an inch or two to accomplish that then that's all you need. It may take some time and a few trips in it before you get it just the way you want, but remember you do want to be snug in the boat and in the Jackson boats if your feet get to lose your knees will pop out and you cant roll with a knee out sooo! Then when you get it just the way you want it put some contact cement on it and glue it in so you don't lose it if you swim.
Fell free to pm me if you need any help
Quote:
The store/person you bought the boat from should be the ones to help you
Not all of us are to busy to help out a fellow kayaker!!
stumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #5

Gypsum, Colorado
I forgot about this also!http://www.jacksonkayak.com/kayaks/H...cksonKayak.pdf

Not sure it will help but it is a resource!
Old 08-13-2007   #6
KDT

Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1492
Send a message via AIM to acetomato
I wouldn't knock Basil too much for his response. It's pretty tough to actually help someone with their outfitting online.

As Stump said, you're definitely not too tall for that boat. My friend's 6'8", size 15 or 16 feet and he was in it before he switched to the '07 superfun (as did I).

Also, I wouldn't worry about the plastic being different. As far as I know the classics (like all Jacksons) are cross-link. The classic just uses their older manufacturer so the colors are different and the finish isn't quite as shiny.

My best advice would be to pick up the Happy feet if you can swing the extra $65 (use some of the cash you saved from buying the great deal online). It's the fastest & easiest way to get a customized (and quickly modifiable) fit in any boat. Even if you weren't in a Jackson that would be my first recommendation.

If you can't do that, your best bet is go to a shop or find a kayaking friend who can help you out to get you started. It might cost you a little cash (at least at the shop, not for the friend- that should just be a few PBR's) but it's well worth it in the long run for the performance and the comfort to get it right.
acetomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #7

Thanks guys for the tips. I probably will go with the Happy Feet. Though, it will have to wait 'til the 1st since I just bought me and my wife new boats and gear. Until then I'll just trim the ever livin' snot out of the foam 'til I get a good fit. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 08-13-2007   #8

happy feet work well... worth the investment... the foam can be cut down or thrown out....without some thing you're feet will hit the plastic and that can be uncomfortable.
rocky_super_fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #9

Indian Hills, Colorado
The happy feet might not fit if you're feet are near the end of the boat. Try them first.

Cheap solution: Get yourself a few sheets of thin (1/8 inch?) and thicker (1/2 inch) foam. Get yourself a sixer of ale. Find a roll of duct tape, a knife and some sand paper.

Take the foam foot block out of the boat. Get in the boat, open a beer. Visualize foot support. Get out of the boat. Use your existing foam block, your newly purchased foam, knife and sand paper to construct the foot support you imagined. Put newly consturucted foot support in the boat. Get in. Open another beer. Visualize better foot support. Get out of the boat. Take out your foot block. Carve, tape and refine your foam block. Repeat. Be Michelangelo.

Once you've got the foam block perfected, or are buzzed enough to say, "that feels fine." make a series of duct-tape loops to temporarily secure the foot block in the boat. This way, you can take the block out and make further refinements after you acutally paddle it.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #10

Gypsum, Colorado
Quote:
I wouldn't knock Basil too much for his response
Ya I know hence the face! It was late and I was being a smart arse!

Quote:
Also, I wouldn't worry about the plastic being different. As far as I know the classics (like all Jacksons) are cross-link. The classic just uses their older manufacturer so the colors are different and the finish isn't quite as shiny.
Not True! I wouldn't worry about it either but its not the same.

Quote:
So what is the difference between the Classic Star Series and New 2007 Star Series?

The goal was to make the most affordable High Performance Kayak on the market.

• The Material: The Classic Series is now made of a super linear plastic, The same material that Wave Sport , Dagger, Liquid Logic use. The reason for this is simple- It is cheaper. Super linear plastic is the industry standard material but it is heavier and less durable than the cross Link plastic that is used in 2007 Star series.

• Outfitting: In order to keep the cost down, The classic series only comes with the minimum outfitting necessary to get on the water: Hip pads, Backband, and Foam Foot System. (Sweet Cheeks, Happy feet, sold separately)
I am selling an 06 superstar that is not a classic and ppl keep telling me I'm out of my mind with the pricing since they can buy the same boat new for 699.00! Well its not the same boat! And yes I wasn't loved enough as a child!

PS: well done DanOrion!