Super cool... Check out the Dynamic Duo from Jackson Kayak... - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 01-16-2009   #1

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Super cool... Check out the Dynamic Duo from Jackson Kayak...

Man o man, I am super stoked about this boat. Check it out here Jackson Kayak - Kayak News, Kayak Photos, Kayak Videos and Kayak Stories.

It's essentially a Hero size cockpit up front and a Super in the rear. Looks quite cool and unique. I am heading out to TN on Sunday to paddle it myself and will give my biased review when I get back.

EJ's main idea for this kayak is to create a kayak that can get people not familiar with whitewater to have a experienced person take them down the river with little concern. It's all about growing the sport here at JK and I think this is going to be a great way to get newbies comfortable and more experienced folk to have a new way to get down their trusty rusty local runs with their paddle partners. Very cool indeed.

Look for them to hit the dealers early Spring.

Fire it up!

Craw

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2009   #2
-k-

Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
If the weight placement is right, maybe this will be a good option for a cargo boat or self support.
Old 01-16-2009   #3

Rotorua, NZ
marty, you gotta bring one of those out to take over godafoss!
paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2009   #4

I've used a 2 man kayak. I don't think this concept will fly.

The times to use this 2-man boat are rare. I see the following uses:
1) Take a newbie down a class II-III run to see if they like it.
2) Take a not so good boater on a slightly harder stretch. i.e. take a class III boater on a class IV stretch.
3) Man and wife who really like togetherness but they will probably do easier runs.

Situation 2 will be rare. Situation 1 may work occaisionally, but it will cause a few rentals, not sales.

The big problem is really that whitewater kayaking is either something you do or you don't do. Either you are comfortable possiblying being upside down in a boat or you are scared of it. If you are scared of it, the 2-man boat won't really help, except perhaps in class II water. If you are comfortable being upside down and can deal with it, won't you want to be in your own boat? There aren't too many cases where a couple will want the 2-man boat.

Will this boat really make it possible for you to take your girlfriend/wife down Brown's canyon? Wouldn't you rather use a 2-man ducky that is more comfortable and won't scare people when flipped?

How many couples will be able to roll this boat together? If you can't roll the 2-man boat, why not a ducky, or both of you be in a 1-man kayak?

I think this boat will most likely just become a rental with many shops having 1 or two. Perhaps this is enough market for Jackson Kayak.

I appreciate Jackson Kayak trying this boat. I would be happy to be proven wrong that there are many people who like it.

My 2 cents.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009   #5

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
if somebody lets me borrow one and would like to hit gore let me know i will have my name first on the list.

the tunnel boof would be interesting but shouldn't be a problem with enough speed. the gore meat line would be killer to see
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009   #6

x, x
Paddling Since: x
I will be getting one of these! Now I can paddle all my favorite rivers and someone else can roll us up. (Jason, you thought chaseing my boat was fun, wait till we try this!) My wife is going to kill me. This boat is going to be sick.
Marty, put me on the list!
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009   #7

Basil I hear yeah, but damn howdy... paddling with one of your good buddies on any hometown run completely changes everything. If you have paddled a 2 man... then you gotta know that is the truth. I am not sure I would want to paddle anything more than IV, but I tell you what, it's gonna add a ton of complexity and will provide a bunch of laughs around the campfire.

I plan to bring one back in two weeks. Considering a shosho run very shortly after I return.

Livingston... YOU are in the front!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
Old 01-16-2009   #8

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I work for the Mesa State College Outdoor Program, and we're considering buying one for instructional purposes. It would be great to be able to demo it first, mainly to convince my boss. Is there any chance of that happening?

By the way, CasperMike or anyone else, I'd love to try this thing out on some nice class IV, and maybe some Gore runs. If anyone gets one and would like to experiment, let me know, and vice versa...
Nikos
(970) 255-1186
Old 01-16-2009   #9

Nikos,

I get out thataway on occaision, but each of our dealers will have these. The closest dealer I can think of that will definitely have one is Alpinequest up in Edwards... They are a great shop and will surely let you demo theirs (I would suggest calling ahead to reserve though)...
Old 01-16-2009   #10

Durango, Colorado
I know we'll have one for demo at 4Corners this spring if you're down this way
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking