SUP Technique - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-21-2010   #1
Mut

GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
SUP Technique

SUP'rs:

What is your SUP technique?

I got out on the rio with a SUP for the first time on Sunday. I took it down Shoshone and then to the G-wood playpark. Fun stuff!

How are people standing on the board in the rapids? Are you putting your feet side by side like the cruising stance or do you have one foot forward and one foot back like a surf stance?

How are you paddling? All on one side and controling with sweeps and draws? Or do you paddle on both sides?

Any other technique ideas? Lets here them.

Mut

Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2010   #2

B.F.E., Wyoming
it seems like I have more success when I stand in the typical "surf" stance through rapids. And considering that stance I have picked up using sweep strokes a lot to controll the boat.
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #3

Try this

This is a good video for beginners:

Standup with Dan Gavere | Canoe & Kayak Magazine
Smokey Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2010   #4

Student
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
The most common SUP technique I've seen is falling off at the start of the rapid and then swimming the rest. haha. inner tubing might be a cheaper alternative.
Old 04-21-2010   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkayaker13 View Post
The most common SUP technique I've seen is falling off at the start of the rapid and then swimming the rest. haha. inner tubing might be a cheaper alternative.
lol that is definitely been my whitewater SUP technique.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #6
Mut

GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkayaker13 View Post
Thats how I kayak too so SUP is really cross training for kayaking.

I was going into the rapids with my feet side by side. I'll try the surf stance. I'll gopro the next session for your entertainment.
Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #7

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
To Learn river SUP buy RiverSUP

Hey Mut...did you check out our new DVD yet - RiverSUP? It is the first river specific SUP instructional DVD. Check out the promo vid at www.riversup.com Charlie goes over all of the stance options. We'll see you at the 2010 Whitewater Stand Up Paddling Champs hopefully - Memorial Day in Glenwood.
eaproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #8

303, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Ha, true. Maybe the trick is to run it down really cold water... if the water is cold enough it adds extreme incentive to stay on the board.

Quote:
did you check out our new DVD yet - RiverSUP? It is the first river specific SUP instructional DVD.
I am not trying to dis anyone who made or was in the video. It seems that if you know the basic strokes, in a kayak, then this video does not teach you anything new (except you use one blade and you are standing on a board). I did not find this video very helpful. I was excited to watch it and then became very bored and disappointed by the end of it. I feel it was more of a self-promotional video for the Aspen kayak school( I think it was them?) and CKS. I wish there was more detail of each stroke (how to get the most power, how to effectively use your body...) I felt like just as they would get technical, the section was over. The important details on how to improve your skills and actually paddle whitewater were missing.

http://www.whitewaterhelmet.com/index2.asp
CUkayakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #9

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
only a teaser video

You need to watch the whole DVD before you can dis it properly. That was just surfing 101 (that is just a promo vid) - RiverSUP takes you from flatwater to Class II+ river running with different strokes etc. etc. There is tons more in the production other than instruction also. As a long, long time kayaker, I can tell you that just because you know how to kayak that the strokes are the not all the same - some SUP strokes similar and some not. Mut is a class V boater and he is asking about technique. Anyway, watch the whole thing, and then feel free to dis all you want. If you want to learn to river SUP - Cmac is da man. Hope to see you on the river in your kayak - or learning to SUP!
eaproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #10

Centennial, Colorado
Paddling Since: 01
Well I think that the best stance for going through a rapid is an agressive foward paddling stance. So you take one step foward to balance out your self and board and bend your knees. that way if you do lose balance you can drop to your knees instead of falling off.
DCman is offline   Reply With Quote