Sunshine Falls Pics from ELFers - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-04-2012   #1

, MA
Sunshine Falls Pics from ELFers

Are you a royal gorge ELFer?

Do you like taking pictures?

Are you willing to give those pictures to someone else?

I'm looking for pictures of the rocks and river bed that forms Sunshine. I would like to have the pictures of the bathymetry from different angles if possible. Low water is nice because it keeps that pesky water from hiding all the rocks. I'm trying to make a 3D model of the rapid using some software that can supposedly do most of the heavy lifting for me if I give it enough photos of the area. Eventually I hope to do a computational flow model of the rapid, cause that just the kind of nerd I am, and a scale physical model that my foam boaters can play in.

I appreciate any help you can give me. Who knows, maybe I'll figure out someway for some beer to find its way from MA to you in CO.

Thanks.

Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012   #2

Pejivalle, Costa Rica
Paddling Since: 1993
I have a photo of my Dad kayaking Sunshine at high water, don't know what bathymetry is, it's only from one angle and he is from ME not MA... but you're welcome to the photo if you want it!
hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012   #3

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
How many do you need? What angles work best? Can water level vary? Etc. I have access to TONS of photos of Sunshine (tens of thousands), but if you have specific parameters that are ideal, it may be more appropriate for me to just go on a photo mission and shoot a few hundred from specific spots and angles. Only problem I see is that even now, at 500 cfs, and even as low as 250 cfs, there's a lot underwater.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012   #4

, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbdenali View Post
How many do you need? What angles work best? Can water level vary? Etc. I have access to TONS of photos of Sunshine (tens of thousands), but if you have specific parameters that are ideal, it may be more appropriate for me to just go on a photo mission and shoot a few hundred from specific spots and angles. Only problem I see is that even now, at 500 cfs, and even as low as 250 cfs, there's a lot underwater.
I think more is better, I'm not exactly sure with geometry as complex as this. The more angles the better because it lets me fit everything together and try to capture everything more accurately. I think it would be better for the pictures to come from the same day, but since I'm asking others for help I am happy to take anything I can get. I think the lower the water the better, but I completely understand that at 250 there is still a lot of water in there; I know its possible to get a raft through in the 250-350 cfs range. If nothing else, having water will let me put in the deepest channels more accurately.

I'm trying to use AutoDesk ImageModeler. It can take a bunch of pictures and by linking different points in the images build a 3D model from them. Its supposed to be able to capture more complex shapes, ie the rocks, from the images, but I'm not sure how well it will work. This is why I think all the photos from 1 session would be better. I've only ever used the software on buildings. If ImageModeler doesn't work I'm planning on putting the pictures into AutoCAD, and tracing the structure of the different features from different angles. This will be more difficult cause I'll have to place the pictures for each feature, and then move them for the next feature. Once I have enough of them I'll be able to create the shapes that I'm looking for. For tracing in AutoCAD I don't think the water level matters, just the more I can see the better. I don't think highwater shots will be of too much use for me, other than trying to verify the accuracy of the model once I have it running in the computational model.

Thanks again for any help.
Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #5
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #6
GoBro

BZN, Montana
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...rns-23805.html
Old 03-06-2012   #7

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
So I watched Glenn's video of the carnage. I'm still pretty new but the right way to hit that drop is with a good power stroke on top to propel yourself through the hole? Is that correct? If you just ride it you get sucked back in and rolled like the pink boat?
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #8
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Just to be clear I didn't take that video, I just found it. I think the right side of the drop flushes, you then have to deal with the rocks. There is also a boof line but it's a little more complicated to explain. I think there are better places to learn to boof anyways.