Sunshine and other Arkansas ratings - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-07-2007   #1

Sunshine and other Arkansas ratings

Hi all. I was reading the thread below about the hole at Sunshine and some opinions about ratings. Having run it in a canoe several times there are days when I thought it was easy class III and others when it ate my lunch and was IMHO a class V bad boy.

Fortunately my opinion is not the deciding factor. We don't have to wonder about the rating of Sunshine, Pine Creek or Zoom Flume. The people who made up the rating system (AW) told us all what they are.

Zoom Flume is class III+ @ 1,000 cfs and IV- @ 2,500.

Sunshine is class IV @ 2,000

Pine Creek is class 5.0 @ 1,500.

These are not my ratings. It is perfectly fine if any paddler choses to make up his own system but when using the AW system we might want to stay consistant.

Chris Kelly

ChrisKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2007   #2
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Huh?
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007   #3

on your sister, ...
a little sad this guy thinks his response warranted a whole new thread on the topic.
tuberslickmysweatyballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2007   #4

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 2003
said enuf

elitisim: leadership or rule by an elite also: advocacy of such elitisim. Just something to think about. Thanks for keepin it real.
Old 04-08-2007   #5
gh

pnw, Colorado
Yep, that answered all my questions. Lets put this debate to bed fellows/gals. Whew, glad this over.
Old 04-10-2007   #6

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Just returned from a road trip and can confirm very little run off in southern Utah.

It sounds like smack talk is the norm now on the Buzz, but the logical responders are all in agreement that the the historic ratings are close.

I admit I bought into the bate and flamed this a bit. It is a sticky hole, and every level of boater that has been init knows that it is sticky. Throwing up a warning was cool of the original poster.

The thead by count was on point. Learning muych of my boating on the front range, I'm alot more comfortable in a creeky five than in a big water four. Alot of it is what your accustomed to.
Old 04-10-2007   #7
I kayak DH.

Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKelly View Post
Hi all. I was reading the thread below about the hole at Sunshine and some opinions about ratings. Having run it in a canoe several times there are days when I thought it was easy class III and others when it ate my lunch and was IMHO a class V bad boy.

Fortunately my opinion is not the deciding factor. We don't have to wonder about the rating of Sunshine, Pine Creek or Zoom Flume. The people who made up the rating system (AW) told us all what they are.

Zoom Flume is class III+ @ 1,000 cfs and IV- @ 2,500.

Sunshine is class IV @ 2,000

Pine Creek is class 5.0 @ 1,500.

These are not my ratings. It is perfectly fine if any paddler choses to make up his own system but when using the AW system we might want to stay consistant.

Chris Kelly
I don't think anyone is trying to creat a new system (aside from better detailing) some just want MORE consistency. Rivers get rated by people, not the AW & a lot goes into why folks think different runs need to be rated at whatever they rate them at.
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007   #8

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
i go off the bible

i go off what the bible says same dude same rating right? stick with the bible "colorado rivers and creeks"
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark, arkansas