Sun River, Montana-Any Info? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-19-2011   #1

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Sun River, Montana-Any Info?

Searched the forum w/o luck, finding very little on the internets.

Anyone ran it?

Thanks-MM

Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011   #2

Gallatin Gateway, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
I almost ran the short stretch below Gibson Res but the day never panned out, the weather sucked, and I would of had to run it by myself. Looks like a 3 mile float or so with some fun waves and then a short canyon section that looked like it had some strange currents. At low flows may be too narrow for a 14' raft, bet we were going to run it in IK's. The section below the Sun River diversion dam looks really fun but a logistical nightmare with some long shuttles on unpaved roads. As I live near Bozo we tried to find a guide service in Choteau that would run shuttles so we would not have to drive up 2 vehicles, but currently I have no leads. Curt Thompson gives a good writeup in his book "Floating and Recreating on Montana Rivers", but it is out of print. I can scan and send you the section on the Sun if you want...that's about all the beta I have.....
MT_Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011   #3

Helena, Montana
We're lookin at putting in just below the Sun River Dam and running all the way down to the res. The info I found says thats the best take out. The 1st 9 miles are II & III and then it mellows out, about 26 miles total.

I would be interested in that info, if its not a hassle. Just can't seem to find much information out there.

Also, just how bad are the roads? Google tells me that its a 2.5 hr drive to the dam from Helena, for what its worth.
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011   #4

The roads situation is pretty funny...paved roads in Agusta then unpaved until a couple miles before the Sun River Dam, and paved all the way back to Gibson Res. The roads are composed of the classic MT Gumbo, so only rutted if they are dry, but very slippery and sticky if they get wet. You should have no problem with any type of truck, suv, or cuv as long as your tires have some sort of tread. The nightmare I was talking about is the access to the river, as there really is none, only at the put in and take out at the 287 Bridge, as I do not think the river flows in to Willow Creek Res, but I would have to check a map to make sure. So to do the shuttle you would need to do a long shuttle, kind of like one for the Dearborn. When are you thinking of doing this? As an overnight? I guess the land is all private around the river on this section and the landowners can be "sensitive" if you catch my drift...I can provide more info this PM when I get back home, don't have all my resources with me at work....
Old 05-19-2011   #5

Helena, Montana
we're going to do a day trip.
we did the dearborn last sunday, 26 miles with some mandatory stops along the way. not sure of time on water exactly, but we left Helena @ 7:20 and were home unloading boats around 8:30, so I think its doable in a long day. if the roads aren't any worse that the ones to the dearborn put in we should be golden.
Old 05-19-2011   #6

On the Dearborn did you do the Upper (Falls Creek area/Red bridge to Hwy 200 bridge) or lower (287 to Missouri river)? Its been hovering around 1000 cfs, I'd like to hit it up this year....
Old 05-19-2011   #7

Helena, Montana
Upper. The falls were fun & the river wide cottonwood is a mandatory portage.
Old 05-19-2011   #8

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMedic View Post
we're going to do a day trip.
we did the dearborn last sunday, 26 miles with some mandatory stops along the way. not sure of time on water exactly, but we left Helena @ 7:20 and were home unloading boats around 8:30, so I think its doable in a long day. if the roads aren't any worse that the ones to the dearborn put in we should be golden.
I think we were on the water about 10:15, and off about 5:15. So, about 7 hours with four stops.
Fash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011   #9

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
This is all I've been able to find:
Paddling Montana ~~ Excerpted from Paddling Montana by Hank Fisher
Fash is offline   Reply With Quote