Summer Sleeping in the GC Question - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-21-2012   #1

Abingdon, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2005
Summer Sleeping in the GC Question

Gonna be in the ditch in June-July. I'm thinking of making a light bag out of a silk or cotton sheet, then also taking a sea-to-summit microfleece liner. I will also defintly have a full set of thermals, I just can't not pack them. Think that will be enough? I also have a thermorest lofted blanket, but it is fairly bulky.

Thanks for any advice!

Dan P.

OC1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
You'll be laying out naked every night and still be too hot. I never used anything more than a thin sheet in May.
atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012   #3

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC1er
Gonna be in the ditch in June-July. I'm thinking of making a light bag out of a silk or cotton sheet, then also taking a sea-to-summit microfleece liner. I will also defintly have a full set of thermals, I just can't not pack them. Think that will be enough? I also have a thermorest lofted blanket, but it is fairly bulky.

Thanks for any advice!

Dan P.
That's the hottest time of the year and a lot of the time temps only dip down into the 80's and 90's, so the challenge will be staying cool at night. I've done 4 summer trips and never brought thermals. A rollacot works well for sleeping, especially on the boat. That with my light weight bag and thin liner give me good options for the hot summer nights. It's much cooler sleeping on the boats--less radiated heat from the baked sand and rocks.

Just in case I bring a set of light fleece pull over and pants and breathable rain gear for any monsoon weather which can happen in late July and definitely expect into August.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012   #4

Jenks, Oklahoma
this has worked for me

If the camp is on a sandy beach this works well (if you are sleeping on the ground wet feet will wake you up), will not work on cobble rocky beach or beaches with mud I use a roll a cot a bunch but if on a cot you could end up in deep water before you wake up. Still on a cot the closer to the water edge the cooler it will be.

have nice paco pad or thick therma rest

have feet close to water, when/if water comes up water on your feet will wake you

use a cotton sheet, if really hot put water on the sheet and evaporation will cool you down a bunch
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012   #5

Northern Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Set up a roll-a-cot on your boat-the cool water makes sleeping on the boat about 10 degrees cooler than on land.

Bring a cotton sheet, put said sheet over your paco pad/cot combo, use a fleece sleeping bag or blanket or a cheap lightweight sleeping bag. For rain a nice set up is to figure out how to rig a mega-mid on your boat-good ventilation, protection from rain but they kinda suck in wind.

My 2 cents- hava good trip!
Faucet Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012   #6

Bottom cotton sheet with fitted corners so it won't
Slip off the Paco pad
Top cotton sheet on top
Both sheets get totally submerged and
Rung out before nighty night
You'll get good at determining just the
Right amount of ringing to do to keep you cool
All night long.
Rig the boat to sleep on it much cooler
Sleeping on the boat.
Get a personal misted for day and night use
Have a great trip
mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
If you're sleeping on/above the sand use a bucket to thoroughly douse the ground under and next to your sleeping area with cold river water. That will eliminate the heat rising up underneath you. This also works under your camp chair in the evening.

I second the mister recommendation. And the dousing of either a sheet or clothing for evaporative cooling. A slow drying (read: cotton) long sleeve shirt can be great for cooling when repeatedly doused - for the same reason it sucks in cold weather - it dries slowly and retains a lot of water.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012   #8

Denver, Colorado
Fleece sleeping bag is all you will need.
JC5921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
As others have said, sleeping on a boat is the way to go. A light sleeping bag is enough for the cool nights.

Or you can do as a friend of mine does and dig a sleeping trench in the sand close to the water so that it stays damp, leave your PFD on, and lay down to sleep. Then again, he is widely regarded as a madman.
Preston H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012   #10
fat guy in a little boat

FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
i brought a cot for a summer grand trip a few years ago. best decision of the trip. mostly cause i dislike cuddling with scorpions.
2 people i was with got stung in their sleep. kinda puts a damper on the trip for a day or so

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote