Suggestions for paddling glasses? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-08-2013   #1

The Fort, Colorado
Suggestions for paddling glasses?

Thanks to my horrid eye sight, and not being eligible for LASIK, I've decided to ditch contacts go with some frames.

Anyone have suggestions for paddling glasses? Suggestions on things like brands, defoggers, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

whitewater_fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013   #2

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Check out Rudy Project.
Old 04-08-2013   #3

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Or phazzer. Kinda cool for rivers? Idk how well they'd do in whitewater situations? Anyone have any beta on this product?
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Get a strap

The most important thing is to have a strap. They even sell straps with floatation, so if you drop the glasses with the strap on them, the glasses will not go to the bottom. I don't think that it matters that much what kind of strap you use. I have never lost a pair of glasses when I wore a strap.

I have paddled with a variety of glasses. I generally paddle with prescription polarized sunglasses. I have a small bifocal in them so I can read maps, without losing periferal vision. Glasses are custom made, so ask questions, and ask for what you want and need.

Sunglasses make sense, in that the sun reflects off the water, making it brighter, so protect your eyes. On a multi-day trip I take both sunglasses and regular glasses, and switch when the sun goes behind the canyon wall.

Look for a sturdy frame. Industrial safety glasses have sturdy frames, but you can tell by looking which frames are flimsy.

I have not found fogging to be an issue with glasses. When it is really hot, sweat can be an issue, but you can take them off, rinse them in the water, and then dry them on a cotton t-shirt.

I wear glasses all the time, and I don't see glasses for river use as that different.

Richard
Old 04-08-2013   #5

For whitewater kayaking, fogging can definitely be an issue.

The combination of cold water and a warm face cause droplets to form. The generally dry air in the rocky mtns make it less of a problem than more humid destinations.

Small lenses are the best at promoting air flow and less fog.

I suspect full face helmets would also cause more fogging.
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013   #6

If rafting - no fog issues..... If kayaking - big time fog issues. I like cat crap. You'll have to use it just about every time you go kayaking bec. the water splashing will wash it off. Some of the anti-fog applications will distort polycarbonate lenses. If you get an anti-glare coat on them they will be scratched, smudged, and foggy after their first river trip (and it will cost you extra for that coating so don't bother). Plastic vs metal is personal preference but I prefer plastic or the flex metal for their durability. And don't forget Murphy's law here - the more you spend the sooner they will be lost. I have a pair of $500 RX transition Oakley's sitting on the bottom of the Futaleufu that I wore for 3 days. In my desk is an old pair of hideous crap specs I got for nothing 12 years and hundreds of river days ago that I just can't lose. And... croakies get ripped of in the most inopportune moments - duck tape them on. Last thing - brand doesn't matter but how it fits under you helmet does! Bring your helmet when trying on the frames.
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013   #7

Ft Collins, Colorado
Like Jennifer said. I've been cursed to kayak with glasses for 30 yrs. Fogging can be a huge deal. I don't know how many rapids I've run mostly blind because I went deep at the top and glasses fogged on surfacing. If you use anti-fog (Cat Crap, waxed cloths for skiing or whatever) you'll have to use it _every_ time, and sometimes re-apply during the day. And you'll still fog on bad days since nothing works all the time. Ventilation around the lenses is extremely important (same as for skiing ...). If you get close-fitting lenses or wrap-arounds you'll likely have a lot more trouble with fogging. But as someone said, this is also highly dependent on what you're running. Fogging usually isn't an issue on the Arkansas on a beautiful sunny day. It's serious issue on steep, cold creeks on rainy days in spring.

I use my regular sunglasses kayaking, which are high quality, expensive, coated, polarizing, etc. You're the best judge of how you treat glasses. I'm careful (hey, these things cost more than $500!) and mine even survived a Grand Canyon trip with only a few minor scratches. When it's bad - a wet warm day on a very cold river - kayaking with glasses really sucks, but I'd probably wear glasses most of the time anyway since they offer so much protection from physical abuses, glare, UV, etc.

Second advice to use duct tape with Croakies. Croakies are very good (and for whitewater kayaking I think floating is totally irrelevant) and you have to get thrashed to pull glasses out of Croakies. BUT (from experience!) it's a real (expensive) bummer when you get worked in a hole and emerge without glasses.

And be sure to remember that glasses DO NOT stay on if you're not wearing a helmet!!! I made the stupid mistake of a practice roll without my helmet - but only once.
johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013   #8

The Fort, Colorado
Thanks so much everyone!

anyone have opinions of getting upgrades to photochromatic lenses?
whitewater_fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013   #9

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer View Post
And don't forget Murphy's law here - the more you spend the sooner they will be lost. I have a pair of $500 RX transition Oakley's sitting on the bottom of the Futaleufu that I wore for 3 days. In my desk is an old pair of hideous crap specs I got for nothing 12 years and hundreds of river days ago that I just can't lose.
No kidding.

I had Lasik done 6 years ago, but for my first 10 years of kayaking, usually wore prescription sunglasses from WalMart. I'd buy whatever frames looked decent--and beefy--and usually didn't pay more than $30-40/pair. I was fortunate to only have a fairly simple spherical correction prescription. My wife's astigmatism corrective lenses always cost a lot more.

I'd end up stepping on them and have to replace them about the time they were scratched up enough to need replacement anyway. They probably lasted 1.5 years each, on average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer View Post
And... croakies get ripped of in the most inopportune moments - duck tape them on. Last thing - brand doesn't matter but how it fits under you helmet does! Bring your helmet when trying on the frames.
I used 2 or 3mm accessory cord and electrical heat shrink to permanently attach the cord to the temples. I cut the cord short enough that the glasses/cord would barely fit over my head when aligned just so. The cord would hang down just behind my ears. When my glasses got pushed up by the lenses, they would go no farther than my forehead.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013   #10
gh

pnw, Colorado
I wear contacts, disposables.