Suggestions for an easy front range river trip - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-25-2013   #1

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Suggestions for an easy front range river trip

Looking for an easy river float trip along the front range. Camping suggestions too. We'd like 15-20 miles on the water. We have kayaks, but mellow is the mood for this. Thanks for any help!!

cskayakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013   #2

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
A float on the front range will be difficult. Maybe the South Platte Denver down but its ugly yet mellow II. Salida/Hecla to the gorge?
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013   #3

Denver,, exhaustion
South fork of the south platte. Deckers down. Camping near by.
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013   #4

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Arkansas...Florence to the Pueblo Reservoir. Super mellow, "desert-like" float, feels remote yet never too far from Hwy 50....Camp just about anywhere you can find a good spot on the south side of the river (North side is railroad that rarely gets used anymore).
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
what the other guys said...also I think there are canoeing type runs on ths Arkansas around Pueblo Reservoir....Decker's to Waterton is 17 miles (?) there are only one or two campgrounds ..there are private property issues in the upper part that avoiding cuts off some mileage ...it is scenic I -II with one good III (the chutes) ..it is super low now and also fires in the area closing access at times...a little too close to busy dirt road to be. great camping ..
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013   #6

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimes View Post
Arkansas...Florence to the Pueblo Reservoir. Super mellow, "desert-like" float, feels remote yet never too far from Hwy 50....Camp just about anywhere you can find a good spot on the south side of the river (North side is railroad that rarely gets used anymore).
So I looked into this in the spring and the word from some of the fishing guides was that the reserviour was too low so you run into wide shallow mud before you hit the reservoir. I tried to paddle up it this spring to see if it was doable before the water came up and was stopped by mud. I might be up there fishing in the IK this week and will paddle up that way to see if it is runnable. But from what i have heard the res is even lower that it was then. I hear that there are some fish that dont see much pressure thru swallow canyon. I would be down to run it if anyone else is interested and there is enough water.