Stories from the last time (95) we had this much snow - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #21

Distiller and Salida's Mayor, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
Peak would have been higher. 15 K is a pretty regular peak at sho sho
It was over 20k in late June and again in mid July, I got run Barrel Springs at 20k+ that was a pretty rowdy 30 seconds or so...

ptwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #22

https://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/co/n..._date=20120831
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #23
Tim Kennedy

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
1995 was a good one!

It was my second full season in Colorado. 1994 was a relatively low year, if I recall (lots of Gore Canyon and low water Pine Cr/Numbers trips). So, 1995 really opened my eyes to the fun of continuous big water Colorado paddling. After a great winter, a bunch of us headed out West to WA/OR/CA at the end of ski season to run some old and new classics (RIP Henry Filip, Paul Zirkelbach, and Dave Eckhardt). I got in my first (and only) run on the Little White out there, and got on the Wind, Cal Salmon, Deer Cr, Generation and Giant Gap, and more. But, when we returned to CO in mid-may expecting the rivers to be prime levels, we were shocked to see the rivers low and the snowpack still building (much like this year). When it finally stopped snowing and raining and warmed up, it was "game on". Pine Creek and Numbers at 4'+ on the old Scott's Br gauge. 6000+ cfs in Browns. Many after work runs on Dowd Chute at 8'. My first surf session on Big Sur followed by first runs on Escalante. First time in the Royal Gorge (4200 cfs). At the Parkdale put-in/takeout, the ranger tried to persuade us not to put on and asked us (Mongo and I) our names "so that he could identify the bodies". Paddled the "fish ladders" on Black Gore Cr along I-70. I think later in that season, I got my first Big South run in with Charlie Ebel, Pete Foster, and Dave (I can't remember his last name. But he was on the first descents of the BS). Such a fun season! ...1996 was pretty good too (Crystal Gorge, OBJ,...)
Tim Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #24

Just chiming in , Robby Dastin , Vincent Taylor and I ran some pretty high clear creek , poudre narrows that year as well! No go pros or YouTube posts just pure kayaking
Este is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #25

carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Had my first epic swim in entrance exam in Slaughter very big that year. Long gnarly, thread the strainer, type swim. Shouldn't have been there as a 2nd year boater.
Then decided not really ready for Slaughter and tried Jaffy down to Toothache section. Me and my buddy Doug both found ourselves swimming at the same time (it was only the 2 of us). Long swim. Doug never got his boat back. My paddle turned up on an island a couple weeks later.
Surprised I stuck with it after those two swims!
onefatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #26

The Basic 99 was in 2003 I think, 2 of us started at Clear Creek, met about 13 others at the Numbers put in and ran to Parkdale. Several people chose to opt out of the gorge. I think 7 of us went to Canon City Depot. Timewise, it was right at 12 hours.
luckyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #27

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Started boating that year...great year for a beginner...got on the Dolores -Slickrock to Bedrock and the stretch from Snaggletooth to where the road gets too rough , in rented ducky not high but great flows...bought ducky did mostly So Platte stuff have paper pics of the friggin' Chutes at the highest i have ever seen or run it when it is 3+ and the camera angle makes it look like a sweet rapid,barefoot for some reason..we had a swimmer in Eagle Rock rapid one long 3 at that level (2000+?)..Union ran a hell of a lot more often ,and higher,back then.bottom hole before they changed it super trashy bucking bronco hole...Waterton ran high into Sept.(oct?) First time down ,I decided to scout Green Bridge and slipped getting out of boat and swam it at 1500+...seems like there were some other big years around then..we got talked out of duckying Westwater at 35,000 (97/98 ?)..ran the normally mellow Moab Daily at almost 40 k,another easy run that gets plenty exciting at those levels...should be a nice long season
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyluke View Post
The Basic 99 was in 2003 I think, 2 of us started at Clear Creek, met about 13 others at the Numbers put in and ran to Parkdale. Several people chose to opt out of the gorge. I think 7 of us went to Canon City Depot. Timewise, it was right at 12 hours.

I recall 2003 being the Bryan Dreher memorial rerunning of the OG Basic 99, but that was a very long time ago.