Stolen boat at the numbers takeout - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-05-2011   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Stolen boat at the numbers takeout

Just wanted to throw this out there as I have never had a problem with any of my kayaks anywhere. I had my boat stolen from the takeout of the numbers last week on 371 while running shuttle.

It was apparently found later in the four mile area of Buena Vista. I don't know if someone was just being an ass, harrassing kayakers, or just figured out it was an old, beat up boat not worth enough to make the process of selling it worth the risk. One way or another, I am happy it was found and to be getting it back but wanted to let the community know in case there are other trusting saps out there like me who can't imagine someone driving by and just grabbing your boat.

jmd_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2011   #2
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd_10 View Post
I am happy it was found and to be getting it back
Super stoked you are getting it back. Thieves suck.

Not in CO but thanks for the heads up.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #3

Denver, Colorado
Thanks. I agree they suck. I was less concerned about the boat and more concerned with its effect on m mindset. "dude, is that guy eyeballing my boat?". I prefer to not have to worry about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2011   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
That's strange. I leave my kayak all over the damn place and it hasn't gone anywhere.

In fact I was running Fractions last year and accidentaly left my car door wide open at the river park. My wallet was sitting right on the middle console....and it was that way for nearly 3 hrs...nothing was touched when I got back.

I would say it was probably some random kid or out-of-towner...don't let it give you a bad mindset about the area, theft isn't usually a problem.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #5

Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I never like leaving my boat unattended on the car. I've never had the issue of someone messing with my shit, but its always in the back of my mind if its sitting out there. Sorry to hear someone out there had to be inconsiderate, thanks for reporting it though.
Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #6

Denver, Colorado
Definitely won't give me a bad impression of the area. I love BV and the only reason I got the boat back are because of the awesome people in the area. You're always going to have jackasses wherever you go.
Old 05-06-2011   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Bummer news but I can’t say I’m too surprised. I’m happy to hear that you got your boat back.
As much as I hate to say it, the Ark Valley isn’t as safe as it once was. Just this year (and as recent as yesterday) there have been numerous road rage incidents directed at bikers as well as a rash (dozens) of vehicle break-ins which are / were under investigation by the BVPD and Chaffee County Sheriff.
There are still plenty of great folks up here but as they say, the times they are a changing’…
cooljerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #8

TOUCHDOWN, Mississippi
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
That's strange. I leave my kayak all over the damn place and it hasn't gone anywhere.

In fact I was running Fractions last year and accidentaly left my car door wide open at the river park. My wallet was sitting right on the middle console....and it was that way for nearly 3 hrs...nothing was touched when I got back.

I would say it was probably some random kid or out-of-towner...don't let it give you a bad mindset about the area, theft isn't usually a problem.
Who was the local white trash buenie kid who was breaking into guides trailers and tents at Cogan's ranch a few years ago?

Outside of those 10-20 times, I'd agree with y
OleMissBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
It's a kafrma thing....... jmd_10 must have good karma since the thieves could not live with themselves and dumped his boat. I am just glad you found it jmd_10. Like Imers, I left the window on my truck down at the Catamount takeout while I took kids down pumphouse on a 3 day trip. No one messed with my stuff, one just gets lucky on occasion. It is better to be lucky sometimes then smart all the time........
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote