Still in, and a step up? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-17-2013   #1
swimming

behind your mom, Colorado
Still in, and a step up?

I feel like I've progressed quite a bit this year and my buddy and I were talking about what the next step up would be that's still running without stepping up too far and getting a beat down... I've recently ran the #'s, royal gorge, and dumont on clear creek all at low water. What is in that would be a little bit harder? Middle narrows on the poudre? Upper CC?

streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013   #2
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Git some!
Old 07-17-2013   #3
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
pine creek rapid on the ark at these 2nd half of summer flows
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Not much that is a little bit harder. I think middle narrows is a significant jump up. Most of the stuff you mentioned is moderate class III at current levels. Main stuff running now is bailey, gore, and narrows, which are all IV+ to V.

If I were you I'd keep plugging away at the moderate runs and look to bust into class IV next year when the water comes back.

You might look at the inbetween on blackrock which is mostly class IV if you walk the big 3.

This is the curse of colorado... just as you are warmed up, in good paddling shape, and ready to step it up, the water is gone. It will be back next year though!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #5

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Gore! Go get something good
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #6
swimming

might try middle narrows and accept my beat down if it happens lol... What about stevens down?
Old 07-17-2013   #7

Middle Narrows is a real step up from those runs, but it is short and roadside so it is relatively easy to bail if things go bad. Some places on Middles are worse than others so a guide is helpful and easy to find this time of year after work or on the weekends.

Stepping up is all about your skills, and not necessarily the runs you've run. The real question is can you boof, roll in shallow current, and catch eddys in a rapid like #5 at current flows. Twice i've had first timers tag along with me in Bailey who said the hardest thing they had ever run was Numbers. One of the guys killed it, didn't even roll. The other guy got destroyed. Be honest with yourself - are you completely confident in running those rapids and playing around in them. If so you may be ready to step it up, if not get on those same runs higher next year and you'll get ready.

Edit: Stevens Down is easy class III right now, but a good way to warm up for middles or to get some more boating in after a couple laps in the narrows.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #8
swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
Middle Narrows is a real step up from those runs, but it is short and roadside so it is relatively easy to bail if things go bad. Some places on Middles are worse than others so a guide is helpful and easy to find this time of year after work or on the weekends.

Stepping up is all about your skills, and not necessarily the runs you've run. The real question is can you boof, roll in shallow current, and catch eddys in a rapid like #5 at current flows. Twice i've had first timers tag along with me in Bailey who said the hardest thing they had ever run was Numbers. One of the guys killed it, didn't even roll. The other guy got destroyed. Be honest with yourself - are you completely confident in running those rapids and playing around in them. If so you may be ready to step it up, if not get on those same runs higher next year and you'll get ready.
Definitely looking to do some high water runs on the stuff I mentioned next year. I do feel confident with everything you mentioned though. Have eddied out right after #5 when it was running 650, great boofs on the dumont run, and had a lot of practice last year rolling in foxton/used to shallow mank, and a pretty solid brace this year.

I think I'll probably do stevens down first and then maybe middle narrows if I can talk Bob into playing tour guide!
Old 07-17-2013   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
What about 11 mile?.....I. 've never done it, but been thinking about it..Is it fair to say it is harder than Foxton -Waterton -Dumont -#'s but easier than Bailey? or is it comparable to those runs assuming they are all pretty low ?..talking about the run inbetween the V 's on 11 Mile

p s some dude on I think AW says he ran the spillwsy at 11 Mile, so 3 V 's if you count that
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #10
swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayo 2 View Post
What about 11 mile?.....I. 've never done it, but been thinking about it..Is it fair to say it is harder than Foxton -Waterton -Dumont -#'s but easier than Bailey? or is it comparable to those runs assuming they are all pretty low ?..talking about the run inbetween the V 's on 11 Mile
good question! I've seen some videos of it, but never looked at it in person.