Stern Squirt Advice ? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-26-2012   #1

cullman, Alabama
Paddling Since: 2009
Send a message via AIM to AlabamaKayaker
Stern Squirt Advice ?

Ok so i have been tring to learn ho to stern squirt. I can get out of the water about a foot when rotating but i cant seem to get elevated enough. I have a perception 3d kayak-medium and i am 5'5" and weigh 148(mostly muscle haha). Can someone maybe give me some advice on ster squirting????

AlabamaKayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012   #2

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
open your drain plug
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012   #3

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Your boat is a little on the corky side for this trick but good technique can overcome that. A slicey stern gives the sweetest controlled stern squirts.

Start in an eddy with a good strong defined eddyline. Paddle into the main current in a charging arc, crossing the eddyline square to the current. As your hips cross the eddyline cut your upstream stern edge into the oncoming current. Also, as you cross the e'line you rotate and use a stern pry stroke on the downstream side, it helps your form to look back at your stern while doing this. This all wants to be a fluid operation. You are not leaning back. You are slicing your stern in diagonally to engage the oncoming current. Modern spud boats have allowed people to just lean back in current and get on end but that is a different thing. I believe the trick was invented by the early squirt boaters and also slalom boaters use it for a quick turn. The term "charging arc" was coined by the great Jim Snyder (godfather of squirt boating) and condensed to "charc". There are some cool tricks that can follow the stern squirt, mostly old school stuff like a "Screw up".

Hope that helps...
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012   #4

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Throw a big rock in the back
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #5

cullman, Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdvm1
open your drain plug
Not funny lol. I wanna stern squirt not die...and or sink
Old 02-28-2012   #6
doesn't need a fake name

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Man, I remember when the 3D was the hot new boat. My friend sam had one, and nobody else did, and we were all jealous. It was like stern squirting was barely even worth it, because his crazy new boat made it so easy it was like cheating. Those were the days.

Anyway, flash forward to modern times. The stern squirt will be really hard in the 3D because it is sort of long, but you can do it. Don't cave in to the stupid suggestions about putting water or rocks in your boat. Learn to do it right. Your best bet is to find an instructional video from the 90s. They describe everything Phil said, and accompany it with pictures. One thing I would emphasize is to really rotate your torso (from your belly) so that you get a really powerful backsweep. You want to be able to look all the way back at your stern, and even have the option of planting your stroke over on the other side of your stern. The move will be easier on strong eddylines, but you haven't mastered it until you can do it on weak eddylines or even flatwater.
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #7
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Do the Phil

Do what Phil said.

Just add two things. 1) Use you eyes. You can't fake it turn your head and shoulders in the direction you are going.

2) West Virginia "cheat Stick", chock way down on your paddle so that your hand is next to the blade. Try to make your level as long as possible.

3) Remold your boat. Heat the back deck, trim the rear pillar, and park your car on it (add ice). That's what we did to me the 3D more fun.
Old 02-29-2012   #8

Atlantis, .
Eat more Big Macs
The_Jackal_Of_Gnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #9

cullman, Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Jackal_Of_Gnar
Eat more Big Macs
Ew... rotton ronnies is grody... lol
Old 02-29-2012   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Look for a used XXX if you are not in the market for a new boat. You can go through the motion of squirting vertically (immediate gratification), 360 squirts, bow stalls, flatwater cartwheels, etc...Then take that technique to a bigger boat.
Or look at a Project X 48...That is a really slicey boat. Pretty good down river too for being a play boat...