Steamboating in June - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-30-2012   #1

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Steamboating in June

Hey Buzzards,
Lucky me the girlfriends parents got a timeshare the first week of June. Just wondering how snow pack looks up there and what the options will be for the first week of June. It'll be nice as usually steamboat is just a little out of my desired driving range for the daily drive to go boating.

Here's what I was looking at:
Upper Elk
Slater
Any section of Fish Creek
Cross Mtn. Gorge

And possible Yampa Canyon if a could crush it in 2-3 days, since I won't want to spend my entire week on just one run.

This is just from the Eddyflower list when finding "steamboat" so there may be some runs in the area that I am missing that are quality. If so let me know please.

Thanks,
Nathan H.

Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012   #2

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
A lot will depend onthe spring

We are already seeing some runoff here in Steamboat. Things have been very dry since February so the snowpack is marginal right now. First week of June is the historical peak time for the Yampa/Fish Creek with the Elk peaking a little earlier. That being said, here is what to expect:

Yampa(town) - Good to go.
Fish Creek - Likely to go then but might only peak at 2 feet this year. Upper section will be better than lower at those kind of levels.
Slater - Not Likely
Upper Elk - Good to go. The Box is a good run for lower water so that should be fine. Typically you can't get in there because of snowpack on the road but that won't be a problem this year.
Cross Mtn. - Good to Go. Cross won't hit epic levels this year so it should be runnable all spring/early summer until it dries up(probably late June)
Willow/Mad/NF Fish - Maybe. Just depends on how the water comes off the hill. NF Fish and Mad Creek may need some lumberjack work.
Yampa Canyon - Not likely to land a permit since that is peak season. It is a long two day run and lots of driving. Use the timeshare and enjoy town.
boatdziner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #3

Bend, Oregon
Thanks a lot for the beta. I remember seeing a video on vimeo of someone running something through town. Looked like a lot of fun that just have right there without having to go anywhere, also is that epic place wave from RCRE going to be in?
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012   #4

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Are you going with any other paddlers? One thing to keep in mind is that Steamboat has a (relatively) small paddling community. So, you shouldn't expect to show up at the putin and find a crowd of paddlers like on Clear Creek. It may be worthwhile to try to arrange partners beforehand.

Speaking of which, I'm planning to be there the 2nd-3rd of June. I was planning to just bike, but could bring the boat along if Fish is good-to-go then.
Duckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012   #5

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
The C-Hole/Wave will not look like it does in RCRE IV this year. It will be a decent play hole though.

Dan
boatdziner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012   #6

Bend, Oregon
Thanks again for the beta, let's hope something miraculous happens with the flows this year.