Steamboat - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-06-2015   #1

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Steamboat

We'll be up in Steamboat next weekend doing some family camping. I'd love to put my boat in a river while we're there but will be solo unless someone wants to show me around. I guess the other option is to rent a raft and take the whole family.

How's the town run? How long is it? How about the stretch that goes up towards Steamboat lake? If I rent a raft I'd be looking for something about 10 miles and not more than class II due to small kids. If I go solo I'd want to stick to class II as well.

Anywhere to rent a 14' raft in Steamboat?

GPP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2015   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
The nice thing about the steamboat town run is that it pretty much parallels the bike path the whole way. So even though the rapids are class 3 the consequences are probably more like a class 2. You can put in up at Walton creek for some flat water boating and take out at fetchers pond if you are happy with that. Fetchers down to hot springs is nice right now with really fun wave trains. One bridge in there that can get pretty tight around 3000. Then the hot springs down to transit center is super fun 3 with really big holes right now that are super fun to just fuckin plow right through- or play around... there's one more bridge in there with about the same clearance as the last one.
I think fetchers to transit center is maybe 4 miles.... if you include the Walton stretch it might add 3 miles, but a lot more time because it's moving a lot slower up there. Don't know for sure about renting a raft, try backdoor sports, but there are usually a lot of people on the river anyway.
Old 06-06-2015   #3

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by soggy_tortillas View Post
The nice thing about the steamboat town run is that it pretty much parallels the bike path the whole way. So even though the rapids are class 3 the consequences are probably more like a class 2. You can put in up at Walton creek for some flat water boating and take out at fetchers pond if you are happy with that. Fetchers down to hot springs is nice right now with really fun wave trains. One bridge in there that can get pretty tight around 3000. Then the hot springs down to transit center is super fun 3 with really big holes right now that are super fun to just fuckin plow right through- or play around... there's one more bridge in there with about the same clearance as the last one.
I think fetchers to transit center is maybe 4 miles.... if you include the Walton stretch it might add 3 miles, but a lot more time because it's moving a lot slower up there. Don't know for sure about renting a raft, try backdoor sports, but there are usually a lot of people on the river anyway.
Thanks for the info. Yea, something like the town run where there will be other boaters I've got no problem kicking it up solo. Just don't want to get on some isolated stretch of III or IV alone.
GPP33 is offline   Reply With Quote