Staying in shape during off season - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-11-2010   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Staying in shape during off season

I need to work primarily on my off-side brace and roll this winter. I plan to attend pool sessions and hit the ponds as much as possible.

My questions is this....

What exercises could one be doing at home/gym to increase strength on the off-side roll/brace? There are a lot of body mechanics in the off-side roll/brace and I am looking for input from kayakers that also have some Personal Training type experience.

I know there may be a ton of posts, most of them good, but I am primarily looking for input from kayakers with Personal Trainning / Developement experience.

Thanks in advance, Lenny.

GearDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2010   #2
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
The roll and brace shouldn't require much training in the gym. They both require good technique, but hardly any strength. If you are not flexible enough to properly be in a left side brace position then maybe stretches to keep your gluts and core flexible.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #3

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Hey lenny, len, len,why don't you just buy my video called ''KISS MORE WIFE ASS"". A few highlight's from my video are.
1. Jog two miles to store for ice cream for her.
2.Give one hour back rubs three times a week.
3.Wash and wax her car by hand weekly.
IF you buy this video for only $19.99 and follow it to the tee. I bet your roll and brace will get alot better. Reason this video work's you will get more day's on the river this fall and spring big guy.
P.S- Say hello to penny for me give a call some time sucka winter is almost here. '' Lance''
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010   #4

Lakewood, Colorasta
Swim laps. . .lots of laps. Switch it up. Do some bouy pulls. Do some underwater too.

Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearDog View Post
I need to work primarily on my off-side brace and roll this winter. I plan to attend pool sessions and hit the ponds as much as possible.

My questions is this....

What exercises could one be doing at home/gym to increase strength on the off-side roll/brace? There are a lot of body mechanics in the off-side roll/brace and I am looking for input from kayakers that also have some Personal Training type experience.

I know there may be a ton of posts, most of them good, but I am primarily looking for input from kayakers with Personal Trainning / Developement experience.

Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
LanceCat

Dude, nice post, check is in the mail.

1. done
2. what about 3 hours / 1 week?
3. only have the 1 ride and I drive it most...hmm?

Feeling stronger all ready, mentally anyway. Mental is something you should know about, right?

Penny says "can't wait to boat with you". She was talking to me at the time, but that's what she said!!! hahaha Actually she does say hello to you!

We are planning a Shoshone weekend soon, I'll text you.

Stay in touch, Lenny.
Old 10-12-2010   #6

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
I think the only exercise you might consider for prolonged paddling and that would help prevent shoulder injury if say you're arm gets ripped up when you're trying to brace is the rotator cuff. I paddled with a lot of people this year that hurt their shoulder doing something or another like that, working the rotators cuff would act as preventive maintenance.

Best Rotator Cuff Exercises: Rotator Cuff Workout Exercises
Old 10-12-2010   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:

My questions is this....

I do this one in the winter time

This one is actually called the kayak.

fit ball workout
Old 10-12-2010   #8

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
It doesn't get much better than swimming...builds strength and increases flexibility...and you won't have to worry as much about rotator cuff injuries when you get back in the boat
jerbsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #9

Ft Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:

My questions is this....

What exercises could one be doing...
A good way to exercise for kayaking... funnily enough... is to kayak...

If you come play some kayak polo, I'll do my very best to give you some off-side roll training...

Marty
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010   #10

Fort Collins, Colorado
Marty

Long time to see. Glad to hear from you. You are always willing to help, what a guy. Not sure if I can commit to it, but it's a consideration.

Maybe see you soon, Lenny.

Tags
brace, exercise, roll, kayaking