State Bridge to Cata - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-28-2009   #1

Denver, Colorado
State Bridge to Cata

Anyone have any info on this run? At these flows is this a good stretch for beginner and how is the fishing? Any rapids to negotiate?

Ted

tballgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009   #2

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1066
Theres a good BLM guide to the upper C.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...p_colo_riv.pdf
randomnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #3

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
When are you going? I was going to do Pumphouse Saturday if I can, might be interested in this too. Depends on what another friend wants to do and where he wants to go.
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009   #4

conifer, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilermakerU View Post
When are you going? I was going to do Pumphouse Saturday if I can, might be interested in this too. Depends on what another friend wants to do and where he wants to go.
I don't think there is even a riffle through that section...great fishing and absolutely no crowds. It will take about as long as pumphouse to statebridge. Camping is best at the takeout.
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by tballgame View Post
Anyone have any info on this run? At these flows is this a good stretch for beginner and how is the fishing? Any rapids to negotiate?

Ted
Good fishing, using a hopper/dropper rig...fish the banks and the runs...caddis pupae, #12 stones, or CJ would be my dropper, and maybe a barr's emerger under that at times.
NolsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #6

3, Colorado
Crazy......but I ran that section in a lake kayak. There is a few class 2 sections but they are very small and short. If you fishing or going for the scenery....your going to love it.
Hope this helps,
Scott
Scottsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #7

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Ran this run a while back when the water was at 4500 or so! Still had a great fishing along the banks. There were some fun little wave trains but now that the water is down I am sure they are pretty much gone!
I bet there will be a lot of flat water....

One cool thing to check out is there is a really cool house river right - I think it is down from McCoy - but if you look right across from the house - river left there is a Bald Eagle nest. The last time we ran that we could see the male and the female overlooking and the little ones were flapping their wings trying to fly. Very cool stuff!

Catamount has a couple of trees and makes for a good camping spot after a good long float like that.

Enjoy!

C
cheublein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #8

Denver, Colorado
[quote=cheublein;155000]Ran this run a while back when the water was at 4500 or so! Still had a great fishing along the banks. There were some fun little wave trains but now that the water is down I am sure they are pretty much gone!
I bet there will be a lot of flat water....

One cool thing to check out is there is a really cool house river right - I think it is down from McCoy - but if you look right across from the house - river left there is a Bald Eagle nest. The last time we ran that we could see the male and the female overlooking and the little ones were flapping their wings trying to fly. Very cool stuff!

Catamount has a couple of trees and makes for a good camping spot after a good long float like that.

Enjoy!

Is there good camping at halfway or at Cottonwood bend?
tballgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #9

Vail, CO
Great fishing and a great booze cruise float...not sure what it looks like at these lower flows (last time I was there it was at least 3,500) but I can't imagine more than a few exposed rocks in the wave trains that were mentioned above...this section has very deep channels..

Note : Hitchhiking from Cat back up to SB or RDR, Radium, and Pumphouse after 6pm is REALLY TOUGH...Learned this the HARD WAY.
Brotorboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
There are a couple of camp sites on river left, starting about halfway from SB to CAT. You may have to share some of them with cattle!
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote