Stackers on a KargoMaster Rack??? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-03-2008   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 02
Stackers on a KargoMaster Rack???

I am looking for Ideas on how to mount either Yakima or Thule stackers on a Kargomaster roof rack. I'd also like to bolt some sort of gangplank up there. I think the pipe is 2 inch, but I am not certain.
Thanks.
Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	small truck.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	608.6 KB
ID:	679  

Advertisement

Old 09-03-2008   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Different angle

Hopefully a better shot of the rack
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	small truck 3.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	499.4 KB
ID:	680  
Old 09-04-2008   #3

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
Myself and several friends all have Kargomasters over campers. You can make your own stackers out of galvanized pipe, cover them with foam tubing, and attach the baseplate assembly with four heavy duty hoseclamps. One of my friends has his set up so the stackers can rotate down to flat when not in use, and his system works great for up to 10-12 boats up there.
When you say "gangplank" do you want to walk up on top of the rack, or along the side of your camper at top of bed height? Kargomaster makes (and sells at additional cost, of course) a rail that mounts under the shell and sticks out about 3" the entire length between the rack uprights. It's enough to stand and walk along carefully, and you can rig a mount for one mt. bike on each side of the shell so they don't have to ride so high in the air. If you're talking about having something up on the rack to walk on, one of the other guys has welded woven steel decking across his entire Kargomaster, so he can walk anywhere up there. The only drawback to that seems to be that it is kind of abrasive on the boats, and you always have to tie to the sides of the rack since you can't get down to the cross bars. Can send you a pic of mine if you want. I have the side rails but haven't ever found a need for stackers myself. Hope this helps.
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2008   #4

Jackson, Wyoming
Here's a pic of the siderail. The shoe just gives you an idea of how wide it is. I can stand and walk along them pretty easily.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2056.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	592.4 KB
ID:	684  
Old 09-04-2008   #5

Salt Lake City, Utah
Yeah I've got the side rails. just trying to eliminate the balancing act up top. I was told i can walk on the shell, but I've seen enough shells with cracked finishes to turn me off of it. Hoping for something 10 inches wide or so and looking for some ideas that are better than my own. Thanks for the input on all of it. like I said, I am just seeing how else its been done so I don't have to reinvent the wheel
Old 09-05-2008   #6

Paddling Since: 1993
The trucks looking good !

I'll see ya @ gore on the 12th. Hope all is well!
h2obro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008   #7

Salt Lake City, Utah
Yo Christo...should a fun weekend

Look forward to drinking rockstars wit ya(mine will be spiked...mark your can!)
So the gang plank concept has been realised. Harbor freight had ATV loading units for39.99(2 ramps). Done. here is how it turned out. I am going to add the otherone for up front, but am waiting for an additional crossmember. Did find out Kargomasters are built out of 1 and1/2 inch pipe. Got a great tip from the fatman . When its been realsed, I will post it. I am also going to implement the bike rack idea. Brilliant!
Craig
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P9050037.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	745.3 KB
ID:	693   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9050036.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	694  

Name:	P9050038.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	370.7 KB
ID:	695  
Old 09-05-2008   #8

Jackson, Wyoming
Pretty sweet looking setup, C-dub. Just curious though: does the part that extends beyond your back cross bar limit how far up your topper door will open? Mine already hits my cross bar every time I open it, and it looks like your ATV ramp is below the bar and extends back beyond it. Can you verify that? Otherwise, it looks like something I might add to mine. Thanks. JH
Old 09-06-2008   #9

Salt Lake City, Utah
I was concerned also. That being said my window did not hit the bar to begin with. After installing the ramp, Ia, left with about 1 inch of space yet. If it had hit I was planning on cutting the corner at an angle to get the clearance.
Old 09-10-2008   #10

Down by the River, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I also have a Kargomaster and was wondering about expanded metal instead of a plank to walk around. A couple of more support bars would need to be added. However, I was thinking of just u-bolting it on and then I'd have a lot of options up there. Besides the weight does anyone think it would have any down side?
boatmusher is offline   Reply With Quote