St vrain shelly cottage flow

Appreciate info on north fork flow from Lyons locals, thx

suigeneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2016   #2

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
There was a scheduled release for Lyons Outdoor Games, but the flow has since dropped. I imagine it should jump back up sometime soon, but that is just speculation.

Currently the gauge is showing 236 and that is below the minimum although you could literally scoot down it if you were into that. I've personally done it at 250 with someone else's old boat, but with my boat I'll be holding out for 300ish.
tellutwurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
We managed to get on this while it was running. We ran from the parking lot below button rock all the way back to the black bear hole.

Meadow park looks promising, but we were in creek boats and just plowed through the features.

Still the same one log portage in proving grounds below the two bigger drops and a new low bridge that we snuck under at 400 cfs.

Also one low bridge in lower shelly's.

I would personally consider 400 to be a good minimum for this, though in sure it all goes at 300.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2016   #4

Longmont, Colorado
It's back up to 325++ and should get higher. Flows should stay good for a bit in my experience.
Old 06-09-2016   #5

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
The American Whitewater site says there is 1 class IV rapid with a lateral wave in the Shelly's Cottage section, is this of any real concern? I am planning to run it this afternoon by myself because I can't find anyone to boat with and I only have my play boat...I thought it was all class III.
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016   #6

Longmont, Colorado
nothing to worry about in there, plus you can see most rapids from the road. I'll be there around 6pm for a lap or 2.
Old 06-10-2016   #7

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
IMO, the Shelly's section since the flood has gotten harder. There are a couple of bigger drops then beforw at the beginning, the boulder garden has more difficult lines, and the drop after the garden is much bigger. Shelly's rapid changed with the flood to be a straight, no real lateral last year. However, this year they must of added rock or a rock moved on the left as that lateral is back. The entrance above Shelly's is also more exciting.

It seems like there is some new constrictions/bank work in places to deepen the channel below apple valley bridge which is great and it seems like there may be a couple new drops created? The playpark has also been updated with new features and the big drop in town before the confluence is gone.