Spring Deso - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-03-2009   #1

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Spring Deso

Hey everyone. I know that winter is barely upon us, but I can't help it. I'm starting to plan for next year's river season. Already have our pre-season Main Salmon and post-season Middle Fork permits. Now I'm thinking about spring. I'd like info from folks who have done a spring Deso trip. Late April or anytime in May. What was your water flow? Weather experience? Also would like info from folks who did Deso late this past summer on what Joe Hutch was like at low water. We did it in June at 12,000 cfs and ran the right hand side with no problem to avoid the big haystack waves on the left.
Thanks for any input / info/ advice you can give. Love Deso / HATE the bugs.
KJ

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2009   #2
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I did it at the end of May this year, caught the high flow around 19,000. Weather was perfect, we had a little rain storm buzz through. We took Joe Hatch on the left with out much problem.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009   #3

mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
You definitely want to talk to the rangers about the ice. It completely clogs the river at times making it impassable. How much ice and how long it sticks around varies from year to year. I've heard horror stories about folks having to hike out and leave their boats. Then, their forced to wait until the ice dams break.
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2009   #4

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The ice is more of a problem in March. Late April / May is a great time to be out there. Plenty of water but not so high that it washes out the rapids or covers the beaches. Weather is a crap shoot - could be snow or could be beautiful.
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009   #5

SMCanyon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
1st/2nd week of April has been cold (and some snow too). I like late April/May better.
kb52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009   #6
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
We launched April 3 this year and ran it at 2500. The 16' heavy raft and the little dory did fine, though the dory needed some repair after Joe Hutch! The rapid was still young and had never seen more that 4,000, so much of the rocky runout might be gone now, or covered with water by mid to late April. We got snowed on once, took a layover, and had pretty good weather the rest of the way. There was one really, really windy day that we chose to layover too.

Joe Hutch was sweet. Scout it from the right. We both ran the meat line right down the middle and were fine. The dory got a small hole late in the rapid after the hard part. I have to say we were very disappointed on our layover day to watch everyone run it way left. It's kind of a sneak/skirt.

I'd recommend a layover here. You can watch boats run the rapid from camp, and the hike up the flash flood wash is nothing short of amazing to see. Giant boulders moved by water. I love it!

Have fun!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #7

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Did you have any mosquito trouble in late May? I've always heard that they come out after the water level peaks, and then starts dropping, exposing their breeding areas. No bugs is the main reason I want to do a May trip.
KJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
I did it at the end of May this year, caught the high flow around 19,000. Weather was perfect, we had a little rain storm buzz through. We took Joe Hatch on the left with out much problem.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #8
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
We had some in Sandwash, but after that they were gone. It's true that after the river peaks they start to come out. I am putting in for May launch as well.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009   #9

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Here's a link to the USGS gage:

USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 09315000 GREEN RIVER AT GREEN RIVER, UT

Having done trips at high water (June) and low water (October) I like high water best. The rapids are a lot more fun. Plenty of water in May, with bugs probably not bad at Sand Wash. Cold water, with reasonably warm days. Cottonwoods leafed. Nice time of year.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009   #10

North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
We launched April 3 this year and ran it at 2500. The 16' heavy raft and the little dory did fine, though the dory needed some repair after Joe Hutch! The rapid was still young and had never seen more that 4,000, so much of the rocky runout might be gone now, or covered with water by mid to late April. We got snowed on once, took a layover, and had pretty good weather the rest of the way. There was one really, really windy day that we chose to layover too.

Joe Hutch was sweet. Scout it from the right. We both ran the meat line right down the middle and were fine. The dory got a small hole late in the rapid after the hard part. I have to say we were very disappointed on our layover day to watch everyone run it way left. It's kind of a sneak/skirt.

I'd recommend a layover here. You can watch boats run the rapid from camp, and the hike up the flash flood wash is nothing short of amazing to see. Giant boulders moved by water. I love it!

Have fun!
Why do say it was disappointing to watch everyone run way left? They all missed the best part of the rapid?
nicho is offline   Reply With Quote