Spousal unit no likely BIG water? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-13-2007   #1

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Spousal unit no likely BIG water?

Yes, bored on Friday afternoon, someone save me from work!

So we got into rafting last summer, and I am loving it. I row and row and row. My husband, bless his heart, is not a huge water fan, but is going along for the ride. We did a 5 day trip last week, really mellow water, and he will also go on bigger water, III+ (some call it IV-). He doesn't want to do anything bigger, and doesn't want to do that class very often. Problem is the best "wilderness" trips are all bigger water.

Most of you will probably think it is a no brainer, but together some bigger water trips with friends, and leave the hubby behind. Downside to that is he is my best playmate, and I hate to take a vacation without him when we could do a vacation together. No, not co-dependant, just limited time off. I already take windsurfing vacations without him, usually every year or every other year and I'm not sure I want to add another class of single vacations.

The upside is that if I left him at home, I wouldn't have to feel bad about what to do with the dogs while we are gone.

What do you all think? What musings would the MB crowd have on a warm (100+ here), sunny Friday afternoon at work?

lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2007   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
leave him at home. do things together and apart but do the things that you love or you build up resentment and that destroys the relationship.

and i am happy that the dogs have someone to take care of them..
Old 07-13-2007   #3

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Get a new husband??

But seriously most of the classic multi day runs are class III with a IV. He is comfortable with this already, i htought.

Middle Fork Salmon, Hells Canyon, Main Salmon, All the Green River, Cataract (at medium flows), all the Yampa, all the Colorado (get a guide for the Grand?), Westwater, Oregon (Rogue).

Get your fix on harder Class IV with day trips. Most of those runs are day trippers anyway. (numbers, pine, black rock, poudre......)
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2007   #4

at my house, Montana
Salmon is off his list. He'll do a day in the Alberton Gorge (semi reluctantly), but friends say the Salmon is bigger, and more of it - all the time. He wants to steer clear of IV if at all possible, with some small exceptions. I would LOVE to do the Salmon, have some friends doing it later this month. I also have a life goal of the south fork of the Flathead. 20 mile hike/horse into the Bob Marshall Wilderness and then 3-4 days of rafting. 9 miles of some crazy gorge that is up to Class V, and it can be only paddled as it is too skinny for oars. I'd do that guided, but I don't see him doing that. Potential major consequences for going in the water, you better be comfortable in the water. I am a fish, and he is not.

Perhaps it doesn't help that I've been getting interested in taking some river safety/rescue classes and talking about such things. One person posted about choosing your river limits, and choose them based on swimming, not rowing. Hubby isn't keenly interested in swimming. That mentality is good, and the main reason why we stopped skiing things with no room for error (cliff afterwards, rocks/scree etc).
Old 07-13-2007   #5

Avon, Colorado
truly talk him into the Salmon (main or midle) someday. At lower flows it is not pushy and definitley a class III.

At higher flows (45,000 +) i came outta my raft and WOW it was a big and very wide river !!
Old 07-13-2007   #6

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I would find out why he is uncomfortable around water and see if you can address the underlying issue. Maybe he doesn't feel like he can swim well, maybe needs some practice and lessons. Maybe it is about the remoteness, or something else. Anyways, try to find out the real issue, and what it is that really makes him uncomfortable. Successful mileage on easier stuff may help too.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007   #7

at my house, Montana
It is definately fear and lack of comfort swimming. He does not choose to swim. At his age (50), he has no interest in learning to get comfortable in water. That time is long past. He just wants to stick to mellower water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLightning View Post
I would find out why he is uncomfortable around water and see if you can address the underlying issue. Maybe he doesn't feel like he can swim well, maybe needs some practice and lessons. Maybe it is about the remoteness, or something else. Anyways, try to find out the real issue, and what it is that really makes him uncomfortable. Successful mileage on easier stuff may help too.
I'm going to have to pass on the later season info to him. I'll have to try to get that confirmed by people we know (and he trusts) so it comes to him from a credible source.

Thanks!

Hey, what about westwater and cataract? Later is III+? How about too much heat. We love to camp in Utah, I really want to get a river trip in there within a few years too. Both of those sound like they can be big though.
Old 07-13-2007   #8

Blue River, Colorado
Just got back from 5 days of Cataract at @7000 and it is awesome. I was most impressed with Big Drop 3 (I think it's number 28 ) which seems IV ish to me at that level. Other than that seems like it was all III's. We had 14 Oar rigs, 2 paddle rafts w/ 3 occupants each, and one duckie, resulting in no flips and only one instance when all of the paddler's were dumped.
On our trip each rapid seemed to run out in long eddy's with time to recover from a mishap.
As for heat, it was 100+ every day, but very comfortable at night. Bring the water guns and Umbrella's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Hey, what about westwater and cataract? Later is III+? How about too much heat. We love to camp in Utah, I really want to get a river trip in there within a few years too. Both of those sound like they can be big though.
f@taldata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007   #9

Avon, Colorado
Westwater- Late season he can walk around skull (which is the only real rapid of note at low flows) while you scout it.
Old 07-13-2007   #10

at my house, Montana
What's the smallest boat that would be good on cataract? 13'?

Tags
big water