Sportsmans Paradise avoidance? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-12-2007   #1

Sportsmans Paradise avoidance?

I have heard speak of a 2 mile hike "around" SP avoiding any conflict at all. We might hit it on a Thursday, which would make this the only way since only 9-11 on weekends is acceptable. Any advice on the trail? Where to find, RR or RL? Anyone done it and care to comment?

Thanks,
Kirk

Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2007   #2

legend
kirk. i've heard that the hike around is a reasonable option. however, if you are going in on thursday, I'll bet you can get through on the river no problem. Just be super stealth. run shuttle the night before and arrive at the put in camp late night style. Immediately hide your boats in the bushes. when you get up in the morning, gear up behind the bushes and just hop in your boats and blaze through. they won't even be expecting you. on weekends they are looking for us.

nick
N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #3

legend
oh. and i think the trail is easy to find. many fishermen who aren't cool enough to be part of the club, hike the trail to access the canyon for their fishing experience.
N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2007   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
its a decent hike, its on river left before the gate
Old 08-13-2007   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Didn't AW secure access through that section a few years back? If so, what's up with folks needing to run it under cover? What's the story on this?

Thanks,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #6
gh

pnw, Colorado
American Whitewater - NWRI - South Platte 2. Lake George to Cheesman Reservoir_
Old 08-13-2007   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh View Post
its a decent hike, its on river left before the gate
How far before the gate, is it marked with a sign, etc?

We may just be stealth, or may just run Bailey. Thanks for the tips guys. Any more specifics on the trail would be great.

kirk
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #8
gh

pnw, Colorado
when you are driving to sp, about 100 yds before the gate, there is a pullout on the left for the trailhead. it takes you up the ridge about 100-200 yds behind the west most of the homes. It comes back down to the river on the other side of sp and rejoins a class I/ II section of the river. Fairly easy hike without a boat on your back.
Just fyi, not meaning to imply in any way that have paddled cheeseman but I did sleep in a holiday inn express last night.....just kidding, i have hiked the trail, its beautiful in there.
Old 08-13-2007   #9
Sponsoring Vendors

, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
American Whitewater - NWRI - South Platte 2. Lake George to Cheesman Reservoir
The write up on the webpage is how things were left in 2002 before the
Hayman fire. Tim Kelley and American Whitewater worked with Sportsmans Paradise on a good-faith deal allowing boaters to pass through without issue. The obstacle in place at the time was removed, and paddlers agreed to follow certain behaviors.

If there is a new obstacle in the river, and SP is harassing boaters, we need to check with Park County DA and Sheriff and
find out their position on this. Then contact SP board president and
ask if SP will lift obstacle for safety reasons.

Don't negotiate with SPs care taker or residents. Work only w/ SP board.

Our position as boaters should never conceede right to recreational navigation of Colorado rivers. For an update on "right to float" check here:American Whitewater - stewardship:river_access_program Be careful when considering shuttle and camping arrangements or anything that may threaten the resource and paddlers continued access to the river.

nathan
American Whitewater
nathanfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #10

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Float it. Be polite, descrete, quiet and stay away from fishermen as much as possible, just like you do on every trip. We were there tuesday and there were no obstacles requiring boat exit. We camped up eleven mile, geared up at the takeout and drove in. We didn't experience any harrassment except a few scowling looks. Also, the time agreement didn't exclude weekdays to my knowledge - just be on between 9-11 and you'll want to anyway to finish the run at a reasonable time. Send me a PM if you have more questions or need more beta.
Joe
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote