Sponsorship? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-23-2010   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Sponsorship?

If anyone out there is sponsored I would love to know how you went about getting sponsored and how good you were when you did get sponsored?

Mmcquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2010   #2

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I was a teen boater when I got picked up by a few different companies. I was regularly competing in both slalom and freestyle (rodeo was big back then). The boating market now is quite dry (in terms of money), so you will either have to be an all-star boater, or you will have to weasel your way in to a "pro-deal" type of a program.

Most pro boaters still have to buy their boats and gear (although it's much more affordable than retail).

Best of luck
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010   #3
I kayak DH.

Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
I was pretty ausm. Not gonna lie to you, I was about as good as it gets.

I've been sponsored in 4 sports and helped out in a few others, and honestly I feel that the best way to get to that point is to be out there & visible working hard, then create a relationship with people in the industry. If you're good enough to get to that point, you'll end up meeting some of those people anyhow.

Biggest thing, stick with what you know. Who do you get boats from? Do you send people to them? Do you benefit them in some way? If so, talk to them & see if they can help you out. If not... what makes you think that you deserve sponsorship???
If you remember it's about selling a product/ promoting a brand, not just showing how great you are, you'll go a lot farther. Lots of people are good, but how many understand that a relationship between mfg/rep/shop & sponsored individual needs to be mutually beneficial?

Just something to think about! I've never been the greatest at anything I've done, but I've been pretty lucky & have gone out of my way to make sure that companies knew that I was there to help them also!

Good luck man, hope you find a relationship that works for you!
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2010   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwindpowderrock View Post
I was pretty ausm. Not gonna lie to you, I was about as good as it gets.

I've been sponsored in 4 sports and helped out in a few others, and honestly I feel that the best way to get to that point is to be out there & visible working hard, then create a relationship with people in the industry. If you're good enough to get to that point, you'll end up meeting some of those people anyhow.

Biggest thing, stick with what you know. Who do you get boats from? Do you send people to them? Do you benefit them in some way? If so, talk to them & see if they can help you out. If not... what makes you think that you deserve sponsorship???
If you remember it's about selling a product/ promoting a brand, not just showing how great you are, you'll go a lot farther. Lots of people are good, but how many understand that a relationship between mfg/rep/shop & sponsored individual needs to be mutually beneficial?

Just something to think about! I've never been the greatest at anything I've done, but I've been pretty lucky & have gone out of my way to make sure that companies knew that I was there to help them also!

Good luck man, hope you find a relationship that works for you!
Specifically how good were you? Were you dropping 60 footers and throwing pan ams on huge waves?
Old 06-23-2010   #5
I kayak DH.

Never been that great a playboater, but I was ok. I pushed relatively hard at creeking my 2nd to 4th years of boating & was running relatively hard stuff.

Honestly, it's got more to do with what you do for them than how good you are. That's what many people just don't get.

I don't think I stood out as a boater as much as I did in other sports I've done, but it was enough to foster a decent relationship with a local shop & get some help with things I needed.
Old 06-23-2010   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwindpowderrock View Post
Never been that great a playboater, but I was ok. I pushed relatively hard at creeking my 2nd to 4th years of boating & was running relatively hard stuff.

Honestly, it's got more to do with what you do for them than how good you are. That's what many people just don't get.

I don't think I stood out as a boater as much as I did in other sports I've done, but it was enough to foster a decent relationship with a local shop & get some help with things I needed.
So overall, would you say you definatly have to be a solid boater
(IV+ - V+) but also have to know what the company is looking for and how you can help them?
Old 06-23-2010   #7

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
For a full sponsorship, you better be a fantastic boater or very valuable public figure in the boating community. For the prior, a solid class 5+ boater is necessary. For the later, even a class 3 boater can fall into the right deal.

Most great creekboaters have some form of a sponsorship. Playboaters in certain areas of the world also benefit from these deals (b/c of their popularity and visibility).

What he says is legit though. You need to be able to bring something to the table (in terms of publicity, sales, etc) for these guys to want to support you.
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010   #8
I kayak DH.

Yeah, I mean, don't get me wrong, I doubt anybody is looking to sponsor someone who's running III+ & can do some flat spins... I'm just saying that I think the focus of many "would like to be sponsored" people is in the wrong Direction to an extent.

The term "it's not what you know, but who you know" is pretty accurate, but more in the way that if someone sees you helping them, they're more likely to help you. You send people to a shop, they help you out, eventually they introduce you to a MFG, then you get connected with more of them... it's not a hard process, but it requires work for sure.

A long time ago I rode for a shop that gave me a TON of free crap, from boards to clothes, to whatever. I knew a few guys that were way better than me that rode for a bigger company... they got a 1/2ass discount... It's not always the obvious companies that you should look at.

Best sponsorship I ever had, a sub shop! (ok, maybe not "best" but it was pretty darn cool) They sent us stacks of subs every time we went out on the boat, and whenever we were hungry, all we had to do was stop in!! I'm pretty sure that all the times I didn't have to buy lunch or dinner added up to way more than a couple free boards!
It's not always the big MFG that you'll do the best from! People get tunnel vision when it comes to sponsorship.
Old 06-23-2010   #9

Boulder, Colorado
If anyone has photos of what type of stuff they were running when they got sponsored that would be great.
Old 06-23-2010   #10

Denver, Colorado
Why don't you just look around on the internet and check out what the pros are running? Most of the big companies list right on their websites the recent exploits of their athletes. Check out what they are doing and shoot for that.

Just out of curiosity... why are you so interested in getting sponsored?