Southeasterners in Colorado lookin - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-11-2013   #1

Elizabethton, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1996
Southeasterners in Colorado lookin

to do some boating this week. So we drove in from the Southeast and are looking for some local beta. We are wanting to boat 4/5 to 5 sort of stuff. We are in Durango now just getting a plan together on where to head in the am as it looks like not much is happening here. OBJ is high on our list, I know it is early but I was here several years ago and caught it this time of year with a mega hike in thru some deep snow. Any chance she is a go? Regardless looking for some beta so any info appreciated.

TNBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Durango has one of the worst snow packs this year, despite getting a lot of snow earlier in the year. Last I heard Vallecito was in, but there isn't really a class IV warm up on that option. Animas is dead and locals have told me it has peaked. Piedra near Pagosa Springs has peaked.

The spring run off has been somewhat delayed due to a lack of warm weather. The class IV-V that is running would probably be 8 hours from you. South Saint Vrain near Loveland, CO. Upper, middle, and lower Poudre Narrows near Fort Collins, CO. And then you have Gore Canyon near Kremmling, CO.
Old 05-12-2013   #3

Farmington, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2000
You left the southeast for Colorado mank? Ouch. The alpine slide at Purg should be open soon. Have some of your crew hike up and through a bucket of water on you above the put-put course. That's probably your best option.
rgAHOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013   #4

InaRV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 12BC
The Piedra has not peaked...
bonzola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013   #5

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzola View Post
The Piedra has not peaked...
Interesting. Considering you have the lowest snow pack in the state at 46% of average and there is no reservoir for that run. You think it will spike again??
Old 05-12-2013   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
The Piedra has probably not peaked and the Animas has definitely not peaked (wait 4 days for proof). There is plenty of snow left up high. Snow gauges are pretty useless once the runoff starts. The snow gauges may say 46%, but all of the snow gauges are at about 10,000ft. Our mountains get much higher than 10,000 feet. Thus, while the snow may be gone at the gauge, there is still plenty of snow up higher and on shadier aspects. This is why you still see runnoff after the snow gauges in the area say 0.

It is also worth mentioning that a 70% year here actually produces runoff, whereas a 70% year in the front range produces nothing, and that our harder runs are not really runnable when everything is nuking. Depending on the weather, we still probably have a month of runnoff to go here.

Original poster- Durango area should start running really soon. Pandoras is in now. Vallecito will be in tomorrow or Tuesday. The upper parts of the Animas drainage should start running by mid-week.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013   #7

Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Drive up towards I70 and check Escalante. If that's not running you could go to cross mountain and then head down 70 and lap barrel on your way to gore. Gilman will probably be low but runnable starting tmrw. Dowd is low but still fun. All 4/5
Or maybe stuff will start running again in Durango.
JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013   #8

Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Animas is dead and locals have told me it has peaked.
nope
BLott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013   #9

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Montana or bust.. Big timber is worth it and running nice. But requires hiking thru snow..

Spring box?
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013   #10

durango, Colorado
rockwood should be a 700 tomorrow, just had to back out of a trip tomorrow because of a boat issue. there is a group of paddlers heading up there. pm me for info it should be just what your looking for.
beats is offline   Reply With Quote