Southeast flows - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-03-2013   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Southeast flows

I know you can 't easily predict rain dependent runs, but in general does late March -mid April have good flows? Looking mostly at southern and central Alabama, Bankhead Forrest hucks,the Ouachitas, and also SW Ohio

.NE Ala -NW GA -and stuff close to I -75 are possibilities on the drive from Ohio to Florida.St.Francis area is possibility if Arkansas /Oklahoma are dry (want to go the more southerly route.) What are my chances at those times and places.Ideally low to medium flow III -IV with easy logistics.Have studied the hell out of Ohio, Bama, and Arkansas, runs but open to suggestions.Is there anything near campgrounds in NW GA around Rome? Thanks. Oh, looking for park and Huck (not too gnarly) park and play and easy access lapable runs, these areas seem to be full of falls and short creeks. THANX Again.

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013   #2

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
southeastern water

Usually, your best chances for water in the southeast are in mid March. A lot of runs should still have water in early April. The smaller creeks are very rain dependent and may run for a day after a big rain. It's all a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

The Ocoee is dam controlled so it'll be running. Your chances of finding adequate water on the Little (Alabama), Nolichucky, Tellico, Chattooga, Obed, Pigeon (maybe) aren't bad. New River Gorge should be running but might be okay or might be really high. The Cheat should be running along with some of its tributaries. You might also be able to hit the Lower Gauley.

The Tellico can hold at runnable levels for a few days. Baby Falls and the bottom 20' of Bald River Falls can be park-n-hucked at almost any level. There may also be some options in the Emory-Obed drainage.
DangerousDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013   #3

Denver, Colorado
Thanks.The West Virginia stuff and Chattooga are a little out of the way more I 77.Tellico is. the kind of stuff I like.Trying to avoid the Ocoee it would be like coming to Colorado and doing Brown 's /ok run but too many people.WfK of the Little has a conveniently located campground with a Huck then 3 plus run, but I can 't tell if you can get out without running a bunch of flat but scenic water.Does anyone know if it 's gorged in or can you get at it easily from Desoto campground?I 'l 'll.check into the Tennessee stuff more.

Is anyone familiar with Hubbard Creek /Kinlock falls. ? It has a 3 plus /4 - large slide falls followed by what is described as perhaps the most scenic mile of river in Alabama but real easy then a long flat run to the takeout.Is there a trail back if you bail after the first mile? How. about Rickman Campground for Mulberry, Locust Fork, and Big Scirum is there closer /better camping? Trying. to run stuff alone while passing through.Can you drive right to Moccasin Gap play spots or to you have to run all the flat on the Coosa?

Lastly can you get into Richland Creek Campground in a mini van or is it 4 wheel drive. ?

THANX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013   #4

Denver, Colorado
Rickwood Caverns SP not Rickman
Old 03-05-2013   #5

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
southeast

I have no clue about the Richland Creek CG.

Look at the Crooked Fork and Island Creek in the Obed drainage. Crooked Fork has an easy 17' drop for park-n-huck. There's also a more challenging 20' drop and a manky double drop. The rest is all fun. It takes about 4000 cfs on the Emory @ Oakdale gauge for the 20-footer and the double drop to be runnable but the 17-footer could be run a lot lower.
DangerousDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Just got back from GA & NC. Chattooga Sec4 is sitting at 2'+ (5 Falls had a little meat on it) and Overflow, Chauga, LRC, Suck, Bear, Elk and Johnnies have all been going a lot this year PLUS you could get some now legal Chattooga Sec 0 & 00. Cheoah and Tallulah Gorge are about to release here in the next few weeks...Cheoah is a like a short Bailey below Bear Creek Falls but a ton of fun and the Gorge is a just a rare treat plus its Tallulah Fest in April (make a Whitewater Tea Cups day trip if you go). Then you could always hit the Green any given weekend, just class III moves with consequence. If the rain gods favor you Horse Pasture may go, its run several times this year.

Might be back there mid-April for a Cheoah or a Gorge release myself.
SE_Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013   #7

Denver, Colorado
SE Huck yeah that area has the goods...most of what you said is a tad harder than I want and a little off my route
arrgh the property I am supposed to fix up in Florida may have sold as is so no need to go there...still have to go to Ohio -more boating there than you 'd think...and now could go to WVA, Potomac, James etc.in conjunction with a trip to VA BCH., the closest decent beach to Ohio....or just not as far south....I 'm drawn to the Alabama and Arkansas stuff for some reason....Ark for sure on the way back even if it has limited boating options...