South Platte Watershed Update for 2007 Season - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-19-2007   #1

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
South Platte Watershed Update for 2007 Season

Hello all -

I attended the annual South Platte Protection Plan meeting yesterday and have a bunch of news about the upcoming season...this year there is good news and bad news...

The bad news is that it is going to be a minimal year for the North Fork. There's been a lot of talk here about the SP reservoirs being full (they are at 92%) and how it will result in Dillon releases into the Blue. That is correct. Under the water compacts in place, Denver and other cities must exhaust their eastern slope water before they can draw from Dillon down the NF. Because we have a lot of water on the eastern slope in storage and a 106% snowpack in the SP watershed, Bailey and Foxton will be poor this year. The DWB is *forecasting* average flows for May, June, July, August, and September as 61, 107, 248, 95 and 123 cfs respectively. Those are average flows, and peaks will be higher, but you can see that it will not be like last year. (Last year was a banner summer for Roberts Tunnel releases and the 4th highest annual amount released ever.) Bottom line: we'll have to catch Bailey on natural flows next month and expect the rest of the season to be marginal except for July. It is possible that we will see higher flows on the weekends.

That is the bad news, and it is pretty bad, but the good news, however is pretty good also:

First, because Dillon is almost full and runoff hasn't started, we can expect lots of water release into the Blue River. The forecast for May and June is an average of 512 and 739 cfs respectively. This will give a good season on the Blue as well as bolster Gore and everything else downstream.

Second, we can expect Chatfield to spill during runoff, which I believe creates a playable feature, though I've not been there.

Third, the North Fork's loss will be the South Fork's gain. Antero will release bigger than any year since 2003 (but I don't know if there is a runnable stretch right there). Antero will re-open mid-summer and should have a great stock of fish. Cheeseman outflow is forecasted to be 327, 342, 421, 250, 264 and 233 for May - Oct respectively. Again, peaks will be higher, that's just an average. Should be fun for folks headed to Deckers.

Fourth, DWB is forecasting flows of 130, 260 and 133 cfs for June, July and August through Elevenmile Canyon. Again, that is average, so we can expect higher and lower flows. (Min. recommended is 150 cfs) Hardmen and women, take notice: It looks like there might be peaks in July that will allow boating in Cheeseman Canyon. Please check out the American Whitewater page on this run for important beta on access: American Whitewater - NWRI - South Platte 2. Lake George to Cheesman Reservoir A lot of work went into getting a truce with the Sportsman's Paradise folks, so please follow the guidelines for floating through their land legally or do the 2 mile portage. More beta here - not a run for folks looking to step up to class V water: https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...beta-4826.html

Fifth, the Hayman fire and some heavy rains have dumped a lot of sediment into the South Fork and the DOW is trying to do some flushing flows to clean out the channel. Flushing might involve a release (from Cheeseman) of 7-800 for a day to get the sediment suspended, then 3-4 more days of 3-400 cfs, then repeating the cycle. DOW indicated that this was something new, so the results were unpredictable. FYI for fishermen - the best fishing below Cheeseman remains between the dam and Schoonover Gluch (where the storm saw a lot of sediment brought down into the SF). FYI the only way to access the SF below Cheeseman is still via the (somewhat arduous) trail from the bottom, as access at the dam is still closed because of DHS measures. I don't know anyone who has boated this section, but with these flows it could well be worth the hike in for those looking to do something new.

Other notes:
* DWB is considering trying to lease some land for parking in the Cathedral Spires area (on the Foxton run).
* They are also planning a $20M+ project to dredge sediment out of Strontia Springs, which has lost a lot of capacity due to the events mentioned above. This sounds like it's a couple years out still, so no word on whether it will affect boater access to Waterton.
* Gross Reservoir average predicted outflow for May-July is 321, 460 and 322 (SBC to Eldo).
* Moffatt Tunnel average releases (Alto-Alto and USB) are forecast at 216, 353 and 178 for May-July.
* Waterton gauge can be expected to hover just under 400 cfs from May-July, with August being down under 100 again.

Please remember that all of this is only a forecast and the weather can change any of it. I will continue Dan's work of getting updates from DWB for weekend flows, but it looks like there will be a lot less action on the NF this season.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2007   #2

Ridgway, Colorado
nice work, thanks for the update!
jwolters4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007   #3

Awesome work. I've been looking at the Mid-South Platte on the South Fork below Cheesman for a couple years now. The bible mentions potential need for a stealth put-in. Does anyone know the status of the put-in? It seems like if it's a popular place for fishing, access would be legal, unless the issue is with SP. Anybody have any beta on the run? My main question is what flows would be good? 250-500? Thanks.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2007   #4

Englewood, Colorado
Count - According to CRC2, the old put-in was accessed with a carry in of a mile. However, since 9/11, access has been severely restricted for security reasons and you have to hike in from the bottom. I've not done it, but a fishing friend says it's a rough trail without a kayak. This is way downstream of Sportsman's Paradise (I think that is the stealth put-in you mentioned). I have no clue on flows, but based on the fact that it is located near Foxton and has a similar grade, I would guess that you would want as much as you want in Foxton, i.e., the more, the better. I do wonder how much wood is in there right now...

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Old 04-20-2007   #5

Yeah, wood is a concern, but I thought that this section was on the South Fork and Foxton was on the North Fork. Am I wrong? Hiking from the take-out would suck as it's like 6 miles. But I still want to get in there. Does anyone know the area? Would a "stealth" semi-quote"legal"-endquote put in be preferable and possible? Just some "innocent" wondering. Thanks.

D
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Caspian - Nice work. Thanks for the info.
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007   #7

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I saw the AW description for Elevenmile Canyon, but does anyone have directions for access to this run? Also, apparently it is in the low level category right now.
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007   #8

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
This stretch is just outside of Lake George, off of highway 24 (BV to the Springs). Just below 11 mile reservoir, the river goes through a state park (I think). Right in Lake George you turn south to get to the entrance. There's a dirt road from the bottom, and there is a fee. Access almost anywhere off this road, with the exception of some marked/fenced private property about half way up.
Old 04-20-2007   #9

Englewood, Colorado
Just go to Lake George and follow the signs, have cash to feed the envelope unless you have the state parks pass. Run is very roadside. It's mostly III-IVish, IIRC, and there is soft V in the middle and a stout V+ at the very bottom. Running the dam below there is not the best idea (recent post on that somewhere).

Count, you're right about it (MSP, not 11 Mile) being on the south fork. But the geology in the whole area is the same, so that's why I imagine it's probably like a wilderness version of Foxton.

- Soren Kierkegaard
Old 06-22-2007   #10

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Are there any more updated flow reports? Or anything on other releases like Estes Park or Longdraw?
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote