South Platte Watershed Release Update (Watch the Timestamp!) - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-26-2007   #1

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
South Platte Watershed Release Update (Watch the Timestamp!)

Hey all - I'm going to put all the SP flow updates into this one thread from now on. So watch the timestamp on the posts so you know what weekend forecasts you're looking at, since they are all going to be on one thread from here forward. Of course feel free to post in the thread as well.

For any new to the area, the tunnel is Roberts Tunnel, which feeds the NF (Bailey, Foxton, Waterton); Spinney and 11 Mile Reservoirs feed 11 Mile Canyon and Cheeseman Canyon; and Cheeseman Reservoir feeds Deckers and Waterton.

But on to the goods...from DWB today:

"The the tunnel flow will be cut to 250 cfs for two days, starting today, and it is possible we will increase back to the 300-350 cfs neighborhood later this week. As always, this estimated flow schedule is subject to change at any time."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2007   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Yahooooooooooooooooo!

Thanks for the update!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #3

Englewood, Colorado
The water gods have heard your prayers...

From DWB this morning:

"
Just wanted to let you both know that we will be increasing Roberts Tunnel flow. We are increasing flows to around 450 cfs today. This is being done to capture Dillon spill water and try to top off the South Platte system."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2007   #4
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
So what level does Bailey start getting scary?
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #5

I've done Bailey up to 650 and it just keeps getting better. Supermax gets pretty gnar, but its an easy walk.

Is the current gauge reading for real? It looks like 843 and skyrocketing. Do we think it will be this high tomorrow? I sure hope so!
doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #6

Englewood, Colorado
I think most folks would agree it definitely gets scary below 225...slower, shallower, mankier...and the class II paddle out is torturous at that level.

I've never done it at the present levels, but I agree that every time I've done it, more water was more fun with at best a negligible amount of difficulty added. It gets faster, but the lines are the same, just cleaner. There are one or two places where the holes are a little more troublesome, but it's really not much different, just bigger and faster. The exception to that is probably Supermax (and 2nd drop of Four Falls?), which does change, top and bottom, but since I don't run the hourglass anymore, better to let someone else comment on it.

As for volume, that is 454 cfs from the tunnel and the rest is runoff. (FYI the max the tunnel can put out is just shy of 700 cfs - beyond that DWB found that the water starts to physically damage the outflow system.) As to how long it stays this high, it depends on when the SP reservoirs are topped off. I don't know where to find reservoir levels online, but I'm sure they are out there.

- Soren Kierkegaard
Old 06-29-2007   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
So what level does Bailey start getting scary?
The highest I've done it is 850, and I personally think that there's not a significant increase in difficulty. Like Caspian said- It's a little pushier, especially in Deer Creek, but not a grade higher or anything like that. Just faster, deeper, and super fun. Watch for a river wide hole about 200 yards downstream of Trashcan - there's a sneak on a river-right tongue. I will testify that the river-left side of this bitch should not be tested on any sub 8' boat - especially not a SCUD . Other than that, the lines on most rapids are pretty much the same as at lower levels.

Eveyone remember that there's a killer tree just around the corner from Max. At this level, it's best to continue your portage past the usual eddy about 50 yards.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #8

Englewood, Colorado
That hole does kinda sneak up on you, but it's not hard to get past on the right. I once watched a friend go straight in and get surfed so I drove hard right to miss him and something over there caught me and I pretty much splatted the rock wall on the right bank in my CFS. It was good times, that day.

- Soren Kierkegaard
Old 06-29-2007   #9

Golden, Colorado
Its at 940. Any word on how long this will last?
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #10

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
How is it that Bailey is at 900+ and Foxton is at 600? Where are they taking the water out?

ben

Ps... Caspian I sent you a PM
benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote