South Platte Raftable? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-23-2007   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
South Platte Raftable?

Hey - I saw that the class II run on South Platte from Brighton City Park to Fort Lupon is high. I'm not familiar with that run. Could anyone tell me if that is a raftable run or only good for kayaks? I'd be bringing my 13 foot raft with my boys.

BuckytheGREAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2007   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
In fact, what all runs on the South Platte are raftable?
BuckytheGREAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckytheGREAT View Post
Hey - I saw that the class II run on South Platte from Brighton City Park to Fort Lupon is high. I'm not familiar with that run. Could anyone tell me if that is a raftable run or only good for kayaks? I'd be bringing my 13 foot raft with my boys.
Not Really. Its 99.9% C1. There is a drop about a mile below the put-in that maybe gives it a C2, but its just a straigt chute. I have been told that there was a log stuck in the bottom of this drop (from a couple of weeks ago) - prob'ly doable with a canoe or kayak, not sure about a raft (can portage around river right). There is a dam a mile or two? above Ft Lupton - if the flood gates are down, its a portage of maybe 200' on river right thru some woods - not sure I'd want to lug your raft thru there. In normal water flows, there are lots of sweepers hanging out from the banks, and you might have trouble getting past some of them with a raft - and for sure would have trouble if the water is at 300cfm or lower in the skinny channels.

Boulder Outdoor Center and Canoe Colorado both have some writeups on Brighton to Ft Lupton and other sections of the Splatte below Denver.

Lots of Dams on the river.
Mattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2007   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
The SP's raftable all the way from Chatfield to the Zuni Power Plant where there's a very dangerous a low head dam (there's a landing on River L in the pool just above the dam). From there through town you'll get a few fun drops before the Metro outfall comes in, which is where I'd get out. The put-in at SP Park (below Chatfield) is reportedly closed right now, call 303-798-5131 to complain or for info, but Union Chutes in Englewood could be fun to do laps on at this level.

Remember that you can take your boat to a carwash for decon...

Have fun!

--AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007   #5

Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
All of it is runnable

The only portage point is the Zuni Power Plant (13th Ave). There is a decent landing and about a 75 yard portage.

You can hit the C-470 access from inside Chatfield State Park. There are a few noatable drops between Mineral and Bowles worth doing, especially at this level.

I'm going to kayak it all to Confluence on Sunday when the weather eases up. It is about 17 miles from start to finish.