Mountain Buzz banner

South Fork of the Rio Grande, South Fork, CO

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  lmyers 
#1 ·
Anyone know anything about this run near Wolfcreek Ski Area?

#2 ·
Have never run it, though I've driven the road many times with one eye on the road and another on the creek. Upper section looks like Class V, if there is enough water to run it at all. The gradient drops as it approaches South Fork, and the creek is not as constricted. Just checked the gauge - under 100 cfs. Wheat talks about the last 9 miles as "marginal intermediate kayaking during high water" If I were in that area right now, I'd opt for the River Hill CG to Fern Creek Bridge on the main RG instead. It's running between 2-300 right now.

#4 ·
I did this run last spring at higher water and there was some nice play all the way thru. We put in at a large river side pull off (a ways below the end of the class V run) and took out in town on river right just before park dr. There was a bridge at a camp area that required ducking when you went under (at higher water) and a bit of a drop right after that. Also about 3/4 of the way down there was some wire fencing strung across the river which we got under by the bank on river left. This was hard to see, but one person on the run had knowledge of it so it wasn't an issue for us, but certainly could be for the unsuspecting. (You can see the fencing from the road when scouting, which is at a wide open part of the run.) Other than that it's pretty easy read and run.

#5 ·
Hey, I just noticed this thread, even though its 645 days old. I've run the lower south fork many times, usually put in just below the last class4 drop just below park creek rd. Would like to run the drop sometime, but have always been by myself and it looks like there could be severe consequences if you blew the line and smacked the rock at bottom middle... in my opinion you need at least 400cfs by the South Fork gauge for this river to be worth it.

#6 ·
S Fork of the Rio

Hi Jeff,

Paddled the S Fork a couple of times a week or so ago. There were no obstacles. The Creek was running around 650 cfs one time and around 550 the next time. I took a look at it today, and it still looks good to go, although I don't know the level.

I put in at mile marker 179 and take out at the park in S. Fork My kayaking skills do not include most Cl IV runs and all of Cl V runs. However, a neighbor in Alamosa has those kind of skills and I could put you in touch with each other.

Have you paddled the Creede Box as of late? If so, tell all. What about the Conejos?

Think Rain,
Elaine

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.