South Fork of the Rio Grande, South Fork, CO - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-20-2011   #1

South fork, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
South Fork of the Rio Grande, South Fork, CO

Anyone know anything about this run near Wolfcreek Ski Area?

winthrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2011   #2

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1975
Have never run it, though I've driven the road many times with one eye on the road and another on the creek. Upper section looks like Class V, if there is enough water to run it at all. The gradient drops as it approaches South Fork, and the creek is not as constricted. Just checked the gauge - under 100 cfs. Wheat talks about the last 9 miles as "marginal intermediate kayaking during high water" If I were in that area right now, I'd opt for the River Hill CG to Fern Creek Bridge on the main RG instead. It's running between 2-300 right now.
Riorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Dude, you posted the exact same question 3 weeks ago....

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...-co-38428.html
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2011   #4

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I did this run last spring at higher water and there was some nice play all the way thru. We put in at a large river side pull off (a ways below the end of the class V run) and took out in town on river right just before park dr. There was a bridge at a camp area that required ducking when you went under (at higher water) and a bit of a drop right after that. Also about 3/4 of the way down there was some wire fencing strung across the river which we got under by the bank on river left. This was hard to see, but one person on the run had knowledge of it so it wasn't an issue for us, but certainly could be for the unsuspecting. (You can see the fencing from the road when scouting, which is at a wide open part of the run.) Other than that it's pretty easy read and run.
Maryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #5
Jeff

Del Norte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Hey, I just noticed this thread, even though its 645 days old. I've run the lower south fork many times, usually put in just below the last class4 drop just below park creek rd. Would like to run the drop sometime, but have always been by myself and it looks like there could be severe consequences if you blew the line and smacked the rock at bottom middle... in my opinion you need at least 400cfs by the South Fork gauge for this river to be worth it.
Jeff Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013   #6

South fork, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
S Fork of the Rio

Hi Jeff,

Paddled the S Fork a couple of times a week or so ago. There were no obstacles. The Creek was running around 650 cfs one time and around 550 the next time. I took a look at it today, and it still looks good to go, although I don't know the level.

I put in at mile marker 179 and take out at the park in S. Fork My kayaking skills do not include most Cl IV runs and all of Cl V runs. However, a neighbor in Alamosa has those kind of skills and I could put you in touch with each other.

Have you paddled the Creede Box as of late? If so, tell all. What about the Conejos?

Think Rain,
Elaine
winthrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Flow is 271 which is pretty low for the South Fork...

Detail Graph

Ran Conejos last weekend. It's got wood issues, but goes.

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ood-48274.html

Upper Rio Grande (Creede Box) is at a pretty low flow too, 272 cfs,
Detail Graph
but it still goes at that flow.

There is good information regarding the stretch on this thread:
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ils-37717.html
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote