south america guide books - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-30-2012   #1

Basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
south america guide books

does anyone know of any good guide books for south america? i know were spoiled in this part of the world with WWSR. but im looking for a book that kinda has a good over of all the major rivers down there? thanks

one legged wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
There is no single guidebook for South America. That would be one helluva' project. There is a paper book for Ecuador [ see Small World Adventures website ] maybe an online guide as well. Check out Peru Whitewater,this guy Kurt Casey has put together an online guidebook that is pretty sweet. He has one for Chile including several runs/rivers in nearby parts of Argentina.I seem to recall there was a paper Chile book as well. I think Damon Miller had or was working on a Peru book or website but don't know any details. I would guess there must be some sort of book or site for Brasil,probably in Portugues [sp ?]

Colombia is rich in whitewater but security issues have kept exploration relatively low.

Venezuela has runs in the Andes around Merida and big water rivers around the Gran Sabana and Guiana Highlands.

Bolivia has some potential. Someone on this forum posted about some 1st ds not long ago. You can take the Yungas death road over to Coroico where there are some runs and i think an outfitter[?].There are multi day trips on the Beni and Tampobata,the latter might be Peru. Seems like not a lot of exploration yet in southern Bolivia.

Uruguay and Paraguay, not mountainous so probably not much.There is paddling around Iguacu Falls,not sure if it is whitewater or on the Paraguay side

The Guyanas would be hard core exploration,very underdeveloped !!!! I have a map with tons of marked rapids,that could be 2's or raging high volume monsters like Kaiteur, 23,000 cfs avg . on a nearly 800 foot falls with class VI [?] rapid at it's base. There are several other falls that rival Kaiteur ,believe it or not. I have only ever seen one ad for a commercial trip in Suriname and some French guys running 3 ish stuff in Fr. Guiana on you tube.

Some people refer to Central America as ' South America.Check out www.MAYANWHITEWATER for Chiapas, Guatemala,Belize,El Salvador,and Honduras.Be sure to click on 'other' then Panaraimo for an awesome collection of river photos. There are two guidebooks for Costa Rica,'Chasing Jaguars 'and an older one.'Honduras the Undiscovered Country' is hard to find.Check Boquete Outdoor Adventures for Panama.Lonely Planet had some general beta about rivers near Boquete in an older edition. Nicaragua = next to no beta, the Canoandes group 1st 'ded Rio Matagalpa years ago,google Matagalpa kayaking images,looks like big water 4 with crocs. Upr. Cocos has some 3.

Can't not plug SierraRios for Mexico after all that.Rocky is the MAN,Greg too.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #3

Denver, Colorado
check out www.canoandes.com. Go to their 'history' they were a Polish group that explored a bunch of rivers from Wyo. to Argentina thirty years ago.Matagalpa pics look maybe harder than i remembered. They ran some pretty good runs in old tanks....worth a look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012   #4

Basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
wow AWESOME beta thanks so much cayo. i appreciate it defiantly gives me a starting place.
one legged wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012   #5
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Stookesberry n crew went and explored some around kaiteur and the tepui areas, no big names blog and pedros kaiak videos have some good footage. Its in portuguese but its still sweet
Old 01-30-2012   #6

Denver, Colorado
so that's how you spell Portuguese ,i had brainlock.....yeah I'd like to see that Yeti,er i'll check it out.
Old 01-31-2012   #7
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
i guess bens blog doesnt have much but pedros videos are fun to watch. its fun to see how ben has become fluent in potuguese. this is the 2nd set of kaiak videos, the first set follows the same adventures seen in Hotel Charley 5. thevids are kinda short but well worth the hour it takes to watch them

Kaiak Kaiak » Multishow
Old 02-01-2012   #8
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
what i like about south america is that every time you go to run a river it is going to be an adventure. access, directions, and the whitewater itself are constantly evolving. logistics are always variable. first hand information is usually contradictory when you talk to different sources. you usually have to just embrace the fact that "Todo es possible, nada es seguro."

john foss was writing a guidebook to chile before he passed away. this winter i got to peek at the unpublished version while at robbie dastin's house outside pucon. it would have been a great book. lots of info. robbie himself has a wealth of information. tyler curtis, marianne saether, and ben may have a guidebook to chile that is, well, very vague with potentially misleading information in places. rodrigo of the Kayak Pucon shop gives out a free guide to the area, though it can be kind of confusing when you are trying to find put-ins & take-outs.

definitely check out this site for chile/argentina info.
http://riversofchile.com/

the small world adventures guide to ecuador is pretty legit with good info, at least it was 2 years ago.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote