South America for the winter? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-27-2008   #1

South America for the winter?

So, four friends and I are taking a ~4 month road trip to the southern tip of south america this winter. We are taking two Toyota 4Runners from Denver through Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, briefly through Honduras, Nicaragua, Coasta Rica, Panama, shipping our cars across the Darien Gap, meeting them in Colombia, continuing on to Peru, maybe Bolivia, Chile, then heading down to Ushuaia, Argentina, the southern most city in the world. Depending on time and budgets, we may take a boat ride to antarctica, before heading up to Buenos Aires to end our trip. Departure date is 12-3-08 +/- 1 day. There will be ruins, mountains, volcanos, jungles, forests, cities, oceans, and a whole bunch of other cool shit I can't yet fathom.

I know its short notice, but is anyone interested in joining us? I am the only kayaker in the group, and, with respect to that, as it stands now I'm not bringing a boat. If another kayaker joined I would love to bring the playboat for ocean surf, river play, and some mild river running (III-IV). Otherwise, its time to man up and learn to board surf. This is obviously a serious trip requiring a significant budget, and has some serious safety considerations.

If someone wants to hitch a ride to somewhere on the way that may be an option as well.

Cheers,
Loren

Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2008   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
That is going to be really tough to do in 4 months - you won't have time for very much sight seeing along the way. I took 45 days to drive to Panama City, and that felt rushed.

If I were you, i'd spend the 4 months in Mexico and Central America and save South America for another trip. I wouldn't even consider driving to Ushuaia in less than 6 months, and a year would be better.
atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #3

Salt Lake City, Utah
One other thing - the border crossing at El Amatillo between Honduras and El Salvador is awful. You may want to avoid it by either skipping El Salvador or going north into Honduras from San Salvador. The surfing is wonderful on the beaches west of La Libertad, but the rest of the Panamerican highway through El Salvador is dull. If you are missing Tikal, you should really stop in Copan in western Honduras so you see at least one first rate Mayan ruin, and the hiking around Gracias was my favorite anywhere in Central America.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2008   #4

Thank you very much for the tips!
Old 10-27-2008   #5

I'll be in pucon, chile. Send me a message if you make it that far and want to squeeze in a quick run. There's something for every level around that area and getting gear for you wouldn't be a problem if you only needed it for a day or two.
wsuboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsuboater View Post
I'll be in pucon, chile. Send me a message if you make it that far and want to squeeze in a quick run. There's something for every level around that area and getting gear for you wouldn't be a problem if you only needed it for a day or two.
Awesome! I'm not sure where we're crossing into Argentina, but I'll talk to the guy in charge of Chile planning and try to include some time there. Can we count on finding safe lodging and parking somewhere in Pucon?
Old 10-27-2008   #7

Denver
Ill be in Turriablba, Costa Rica. You could stop by and we could fire some sh!t up. Any chance youd be willing to haul a creek boat and paddle to Costa Rica? If not the boat maybe the paddle and some other gear? Im in Denver until i leave.
Sounds like a sick trip, how long have you been planning it? Your going to have a blog or something?
THanks, W
willieWAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieWAO View Post
Ill be in Turriablba, Costa Rica. You could stop by and we could fire some sh!t up. Any chance youd be willing to haul a creek boat and paddle to Costa Rica? If not the boat maybe the paddle and some other gear? Im in Denver until i leave.
Sounds like a sick trip, how long have you been planning it? Your going to have a blog or something?
THanks, W
Can't commit yet, but I would be surprised if we couldn't hook you up to some extent. When are you leaving?

The trip has been on the books for a couple years, originally planning to have a total of 4 peeps, with a truck/4runner. We recently picked up a 5th, and I figure we might as well pick up a 6th if possible.

We will be blogging, I think the website is going to be hundreddayweekend.com, though its not up yet. I'll confirm the URL when I know for sure.
Old 10-27-2008   #9

Salt Lake City, Utah
Another good place to look for people to do this trip would be at Southbound Driving Travel Forum - Powered by vBulletin

My trip blog from going to Panama earlier this year is at http://laakso.us
Old 10-27-2008   #10

Sick resources, thanks again.