Soul Waterman District 11 - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-10-2018   #1
trvlrerik

Salina, Kansas
Paddling Since: 2002
Soul Waterman District 11

I am now an old guy looking for the mythical do-everything boat, WW, rock gardening and surf, and also not plow like a bath tub once the water gets flattened out in between.
The first time I left the WW community after a series of unfortunate events I turned to flat water and learned about fast efficient touring kayaks. Now that I have the ability to know when a river is out of my league, I'm starting over. I started out with a Pyrahna Fusion, then went to a LL Stinger, and a Pyrahna speeder. The Stinger is great in WW and rock gardening, but heavy as hell and the nose profile pounds thru water features, to much volume for me. The Speeder is fun on up to c3 WW, not even fair at rock gardening, but light weight and fast as hell. I started my search for a cross between the Stinger and the Speeder. I would really like a sealed bulkhead to self support overnight trips, and not so heavy for portages. (like I said I'm old) Im 5'11" 180lbs, in good shape just not as flexible as I used to be.
I have shortened the list to 3 boats.
Dagger Green Boat
Jackson Karma RG
and the leader, the Soul District 11, being a newer boat I have never been in one, or spoken with anybody with first hand knowledge of it, but I am in love with the weight, profile and lower volume and water cutting bow.
I was hoping to get some input from people way more in tune with what boats are out there in the down river/rock gardening class.

trvlrerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2018   #2

Errywhere, Colorado
The district 11 is going to be horrendous at surfing because of it's bow shape. The only person I know who owns a district 11 never uses it in favor of his stinger and wildwater boat.
I'd go with the karma RG, it has less rocker than the stinger although it is relatively the same volume.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Chandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018   #3
huckh2o

Confluence, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 1999
P&H Hammer

I noticed you didn't mention the P&H Hammer. It's a really fun boat. It's maneuverable because it's got a flattish hull but it's fast because of it's keel. It's kind of like a whitewater boat mixed with a touring boat. I'm considering getting one for a good all around day tripping boat.

P&H Sea Kayaks - Kayaks
huckh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2018   #4
trvlrerik

Salina, Kansas
Paddling Since: 2002
I have paddled the P&H and liked the boat quite a bit, until I had to pull it up the face of a cliff, this was actually the day I set a limit on the weight of my boats of 55lbs.
I am sure as I get older the weight limit will go down further.
trvlrerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018   #5
huckh2o

Confluence, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 1999
makes sense

that boat is a little bit of a beast
huckh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018   #6
-k-

Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Haven’t paddled it, or looked at any feedback on it but your description sounds more consistent with the Jackson Antix.