SOTAR IK 10' vs 11' - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-05-2014   #1

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
SOTAR IK 10' vs 11'

I know this is a pretty lame topic... that few, if anyone could contribute... but I don't know of any other place to ask the question... so please refrain from flaming, if you are not interested just move on and boat!

( and yes I have been talking with SOTAR about this)

I am wondering if anyone out there has tried a 10' and an 11' SOTAR SL IK?I am looking for first hand experience in the two different sizes.

I have just been paddling the 10 footer. and I am about to have a custom boat made per the fall sale... wondering if I have any advantage of trying to get a 10'6" or 10'8" vs jumping up to the 11.

I loved the 10 footer. So easy to paddle. felt like a kayak. not a barge..

But as the water got bigger and more difficult... it started to feel a bit tipsy... and did not instill much confidence ( however I was starting to get used to this)

ANyways... wondering if anyone can comment and make a recommendation for a 10'6" or an 11'... SOTAR recommended I just do the stock 11'. and I probably will. but wondering if there is any benenfit to trying for an in between size.

I want the boat to remain playful, easy to maneuver, fun... I want a little more stability but don't want it to feel barge like.

the 10 footer has a 200lb weight limit... ( too low for me) , but the 11' has a 375lb weight limit ( much higher than I need) .... thus im considering an in between size...

and I will only have one chance in my whole life to have a custom made IK so I want to get it right this time. Thanks ya'll....

oh and for the record... I also own a tandem hyside padillac... so I have the stable barge category covered...

GratefulOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2014   #2

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
This is not a lame topic at all.

It woulod be great if Sotar had a demo IK that they would ship to you to try out --with them holding your credit card in case you for forget to return it! It would probably have to be an 11 (not custom), and you would see if it is maneuverable (not barge-like) enough for you. I wonder if they would go for that??? All the 11' on the hotsheet are "new," so they don't list a demo -- too bad. Worth a call anyway? (maybe they have a demo that is not on the hotsheet.)

Maybe some buzzard has one they would let you try (you might have to drive a ways).

(I really suspect the 11 is not barge-like.)
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I'd be as concerned with width and tube diameter as length....32 to 35 inches is going to be more high performance...37 to 38 starting to get lame \tank like......9 to 11 " tube diameter is more kayak like... 13" you might as well inner tube or just raft...smaller tubes could account for large difference in weight capacity reptimal performance....
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2014   #4

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Per an April email from Cheryl at Sotar:
"All of the kayaks are built to the same tube diameter and inside width specs" so, in regard to cayo's post, you shouldn't get barge-like going to an 11' from a 10'. (I'm sure you know the tube diameter is 11".)

(Edited: some lack of consistency on site -- while product page shows 11" tubes, price list specs show 11.5" for both 10' and 11' -- at least price list specs do show same tube diameter and width for both lengths -- confirming Cheryl's email.
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014   #5
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Does the 10' (or in-between sizes) have the same 12" rise? If so, the 11' will have a longer waterline and be less squirrely. If the smaller sizes have less rise then the waterline might be similar and feel the same as the 11' but not do as well in larger waves. My wife went from a 10' IK with 10" rocker to an 11.5' Thrillseeker with a 15" rise to get more rocker and maintain the same feel.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014   #6

Carbondale, Colorado
yeah. im guessing 11.5" in the middle... but they taper so dramatically , probably accounts for greater performance. and I concur about discrepancy on web page. but I do know the boats are sick!!! and at the fall special price, its in the same price category as a hyside padilac...

appreciate getting the discussion going. hope others may chime in.
Old 09-05-2014   #7

Carbondale, Colorado
http://sotar.com/price-list/retail-price-list.pdf

here is all the specs

37" outside tube width
14" inside width

on the web page it says 12" of rise , but on the specs sheet it says 9" of rise

the fact that your wife paddles an 11'5 thrillseeker , makes me feel better about an 11' sotar ( similar design) .... ( I just mean if the 11.5 is not too much boat for a female, I should be good , and just over thinking this)

thanks for contributing
Old 09-05-2014   #8

Carbondale, Colorado
from owning the 10'.... I have to say its super rockered... looks like continues full rocker to me.... it sits like a teeter totter on the ground.
Old 09-05-2014   #9
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I think your good with the 11. My wife is 5'1" and 110 lbs. and handles the bigger kayak like it is extension of her. She went with the Thrillseeker to get the cockpit sized to fit her. It was built to be more narrow therefore the curved tubes are closer together and create the dramatic rise.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014   #10

Jackson County, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1979
11 footer is great

I have the 11' IK and love it. It's been down the Rogue, Main Salmon, MFS, and lots in between. I'm 6'2" and 190lbs and it handles like a sports car IMO, but I haven't paddle other brands or hardshells, so can't give you a comparison. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either, but if price is the only difference, get the standard 11'. Good luck!
VandyIn541 is offline   Reply With Quote