Some more thoughts on the Count... - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-25-2009   #1

Mad Scientist/Creeker
Some more thoughts on the Count...

I came in kind of late to the discussion on the last thread and didn't know what to write. It was really eye opening to read about how many people Derk influenced and how many people cared about him so deeply. I heard this incredibly sad news on my way to go paddling and it was an intense situation so that is what I decided to write about. Posted my thoughts to my new blog w/some pics and a sneak preview at a new run in the Winds.

The Count Died in Bouncing Betty Boofington Heights

My deepest condolences to his family and his friends. RIP Count.

ES

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2009   #2

Edge o' the Dust Bowl, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1982
Well done, Evan. Good photo of Derk, too. One sentence says it: "Count would’ve wanted us to keep driving through the night, get up to the Winds and get it done."

I'm thinking I'm going to get some stickers made up that say "wwdd?" or just "Count".
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009   #3
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
Awesome Evan. Your book definitely fueled the fire within Good ol Derk so thanks for showing that appreciation. Well done. Great pic of him too, you can just feel the little guys passion and spirit.

Its funny, a week ago today, I was debating whether to hoof it out at the peterson lake trail or just continue down to the Take out. One of the questions I asked myself was...WWDD? Hell yes, you know what he would do.

ActionJackson, I wanted to do the same thing with stickers. Maybe we should throw it up for a vote to let the buzzards decide. I'd throw down on some.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2009   #4

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Really nice piece. I didn't ever meet derk, but I was thinking something very similar, after reading all the amazing stories about Derk's enthusiasm, and lamenting that I never did get the chance to meet or boat with him--I couldn't help thinking the phrase "Derk would do it" would be a fitting rememberance and inspiration, somewhat along the lines of "Eddie would go" I like WWDD too.
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009   #5

At his memorial I saw two different stickers going around. "Do it 4 Derk" and "Count" both ended up in most peoples hands. I particularly liked the "Do it 4 Derk" one and I know several of my friends have put them on our cars.
Count's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009   #6

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
I just got back from the Big South and saw the plaque put in at the Bouncing Betty eddy. Nice work to whomever did that. Eric, Kent?

RIP Derk
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009   #7
gh

pnw, Colorado
I didnt see the Count stickers but wanted one. The do it 4 derk stickies are awesome. Kudos to whomever did that.
Old 07-25-2009   #8

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Yeah,whats the news on that BS plaque?
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009   #9
I kayak DH.

Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh View Post
I didnt see the Count stickers but wanted one. The do it 4 derk stickies are awesome. Kudos to whomever did that.
My bro Kevin from up in summit got them made, if anybody wants one just let me know. He gave me a stack to give to some Denver folks since he doen't get down there much, he figured that folks would appreciate them. He and a group of my buddies boat with Luke & boated with Derk when he was younger.

Kaleb