some good WV runs in early July? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-11-2008   #1

some good WV runs in early July?

Howdy all,
I grew up in WV, but didn't start boating until I moved to Colorado! I'm headed back home for a couple weeks around the 4th of July and want to take my boat!

so how is the gauley in early July? still V+? running at all? did it once on a commercial trip, my first WW adventure ever!! I could be convinced to try it again if it's any less intense at lower water...?

I have begun to run some IV lately, usually when they're lower. Ran Numbers and Pine Creek last fall at 700-900 cfs, so III-IV- runs with new friends would likely be my preferred method...

any bright ideas, or people willing to let me join in on a day of fun somewhere?

I know it's early, but just trying to get a feel.

thanks!

redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008   #2

The Gauley only runs in September and October during the dam release from Summersville Dam. Other than that, I don't know anything about WV rivers.
ecjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008   #3

Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
Sounds like you might be interested in the New River Gorge run. The Gualley only runs later in the summer. Not even close to V+ but is tougher the numbers for sure imho.

So yeah, check out the New River Gorge, big water fun with lots of play at all levels. Other than that, the cheat will be at super low water so that is kind of out. Just a little north of WV, the Yough should be running, good class IV fun with a few slightly tougher moves.
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008   #4

Boulder, Colorado
just finished a trip to up there, totally rain dependent but the upper yough (MD) is a fun class 4 run that has releases on it during the summer, also if it rains look at the top yough which has some really fun boofs on it. Lower blackwater around 350 on the guage would be good but there are some harder drops on that run. Big sandy is fun as well has the easiest 15 footer around. and if you feel like stepping it up there is tons of great class 5 up there. Try posting on boatertalk.com or npmb.com as well for info.
-Tom
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008   #5

thanks for the info. I remember that swirling eddie of death at the bottom of the dam on the gauley . so it's just a trickle otherwise, eh? oh well, 'nother time.

I did my second (and last) commercial trip on the new river, it was class II with large slackwater sections and we were not allowed to paddle as we would run up on the next boat. that's when I decided I didn't care so much for the feast or famine of comm riding. spent years on the topside of the new climbing the endless wall, camped out past the railroad tracks under the bridge. those were the days... I hear you can't go there anymore?

I'm sure there are exciting sections of the new tho, I'll do some better research as my date approaches.

I'll be down near south western VA, and possibly even down to Asheville or Carboro as well, I hear great things about the NC boating...
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
They moved the put-in for the upper Gauley downstream so the eddie of death is no more. If there is enough rain you may still catch the Gauley running in mid summer. Once Summersville lake gets to it summer pool level they let the water flow downstream. People paddle the Gauley at really low levels (400 cfs) - as someone else suggested ask about it on boatertalk.

Everyone has an opinion on the difficulty of the Upper G. Pretty much no one will tell you it is class V+ except maybe some outfitters trying to sell you an 'extreme' experience. AW considers it to be a benchmark class 5.0 stretch. It is easier than Gore, harder than Numbers, vaguely comparable to Pine Creek with higher flows and different hazards (undercuts and sieves). Some people call it class III - personally I would say it maxes at about 5-. Regardless it is a beautiful and classic stretch of whitewater.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008   #7

oh yeah
and here we go into ratings... i have been known to under rate some runs, but for the upper yough i gotta go with IV+. it's harder than the numbers and comparable with bailey minus the top of super max. a guide is recommended. if there's rain, the cranberry is a great III+/ IV- run in northern wv

dan.
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008   #8

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
The Gauley does run if a massive rain storm comes through or a huricane on the right track comes through, but it isn't likely. The Lower section is fun 3-4. The Cheat Canyon is also a fun 3-4 run, but also unlikely to be running. There are also some awesome stuff in the upper Cheat drainage and over on the Sandy, but again, unliky to be running. The Yough and the New are your best bets. The New (Gorge) is not class 2. 3+ I'd say, but it is typical WV pool drop. Might look at the Tygart, it runs when nearly nothing else does. It might be worth your time to look at some NC stuff too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard View Post
thanks for the info. I remember that swirling eddie of death at the bottom of the dam on the gauley . so it's just a trickle otherwise, eh? oh well, 'nother time.

I did my second (and last) commercial trip on the new river, it was class II with large slackwater sections and we were not allowed to paddle as we would run up on the next boat. that's when I decided I didn't care so much for the feast or famine of comm riding. spent years on the topside of the new climbing the endless wall, camped out past the railroad tracks under the bridge. those were the days... I hear you can't go there anymore?

I'm sure there are exciting sections of the new tho, I'll do some better research as my date approaches.

I'll be down near south western VA, and possibly even down to Asheville or Carboro as well, I hear great things about the NC boating...
CraigS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008   #9

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
The Gauley must release whatever goes into it. It is a very fun creeky class IV when it is around 800, get out at Iron Ring though it's really nasty at low water where the lumber companies blasted it years ago. Upper Yough is a blast, runs Fridays and Mondays with occasional Saturday releases. Be there ready to paddle at noon and be sure not to outrun the water and you could get two laps in with good planning. The Russell Fork in eastern KY/Virginia boarder is a great IV/V at low water. Usually through the week they release about 250-300 which is a blast, very sievy though with great mountain biking at Breaks Park. The New River Gorge is good at higher water but lots of flat water. Blackwater is another that runs fairly regularly because it takes little water to run, watch out this is VERY remote class V+ and you need a guide! The WISP WWPark in Maryland is very nice with a playwave that is tuned to YOUR perfection by an attendent. The Cheoah down in NC has periodic releases too and is very continuous class IV, check AW for releases.
wirednut14er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008   #10

Hey, I'm from Clarksburg WV, love that state for the paddling.

July isn't exactly run off season, but you can paddle stong year round out there.

My faviort runs are in no paricular order:

New: will have water, safe fun and big, look out above 6ft on the gauge.

Gauley: Lower is fun, upper is super fun, not much water in the summer.

Tryget river: Ardon: Great play boating, super easy 18footer, last rappid before the lake has hudge hit, great river running and you walk past a bar when you walk the shuttle. If you get rain, there is good creeking in Teeter Creek and Laural creek here. Could get custom rack for your truck here.

Tryget River: Gorge and Araudra section. Fun low angle creeking, easy to do in play boats. Get low water creeking and big water rappids in same run (two rivers join). Shuttle take 10 miutes.

Tryget River: Valley Falls. Park and huck, will have water over the summer.

Big Sandy Creek into Big Sandy. Small remote creek, can do in play boats. Called it "Bably Creeking" when back east. Take out at bridge for class 3~4 run. Lots of waves to surf.

Lower Big Sandy: Fun run, you will want a big boat. Might run in summer if you get rain.

Upper Youch: Fun class 4 river, catch a release when you are up there, it's a classic, runs on the weekend.

Cheat Canyon: Home of squirt boating, good wave and hole play. Big water rapids, also a classic if you have enough water.

Lower Youch: Lots of people, rafts, ect. General Zoo. If nothing eles is running, there will be water here, can't say it's a destination though.

You might luck out and get some rain, in which case everthing will turn green on the gauge. Use american whitewater for info.

Chad
Chad_Sypolt is offline   Reply With Quote