Solo vs tandem IK - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-09-2015   #1

Roseburg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2015
Solo vs tandem IK

So Im buying my wife an Ik to get her on the water. I was just wondering what you guys and gals would recommend as far as going with a solo or tandem. thank you for your time.

Poedunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2015   #2

Cave Creek, Arizona
Solo is my opinion. Easier to control and less likely to wrap. Unless you plan to run multi days, then the Extra room comes in handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015   #3
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I agree with InflatableSteve on this one. - I personally prefer solo, but I also own one tandem just for multi day trips, where I carry my own gear.
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2015   #4
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
You do know that tandems are also called "divorce boats", right?

If you mean for her to paddle solo then the single will be more fun and maneuverable.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015   #5

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
Seconding what I Steve said. The tandem has a greater chance of wrapping, especially on smaller rocky rivers. Also harder to get out of a wrap than a solo. Its one advantage would be on big high volume water for punching through holes and stuff. So basically You should take into consideration what type of water you will be paddling predominantly and choose accordingly.
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015   #6

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Solo. We have had both and are switching to just singles. They are better for just about everything. Will you be in a hardshell? and what kind of trips will you be using it on, day trips or overnights?
Old 11-10-2015   #7

Roseburg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoenfeld13 View Post
Solo. We have had both and are switching to just singles. They are better for just about everything. Will you be in a hardshell? and what kind of trips will you be using it on, day trips or overnights?
Or local run only has one class IV "North Umpqua" and in my opinion the class IV is really tame. She will be in the Ik by herself with me in my hard shell. My experience starts and ends with the sevylor tahiti. Me and her went out on one of those shitty boats this summer. After that I understand the divorce maker name haha. But to my surprise even after 3 hr of me telling her that shes doing everything wrong she still wants a boat."of her own hahaha" I just wasn't sure if she would be more comfortable in a solo or tandem. After all the awesome replies we will be going solo.
Poedunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015   #8
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Tandem for life.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015   #9
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I'd get a single. Aire Lynx, Tomcat, or Sotar if you really want the best boat. I've paddled all of them, for me the Lynx does 95% of what I want it to well, the Tomcat is a good value, but the Sotar SL's are the best. I could get a custom Sotar SL and never want for another IK again. Saying that, if it is her first boat, the Tomcat is plenty. The North Umpqua is great, I took a new to me Lynx down it last spring from Boulder to Gravel bin, it was great.
Old 11-11-2015   #10

Jenks, Oklahoma
" But to my surprise even after 3 hr of me telling her that shes doing everything wrong she still wants a boat."of her own hahaha" I just wasn't sure if she would be more comfortable in a solo or tandem. After all the awesome replies we will be going solo."

As a ACA WW kayak instructor since 1991, my advice to husbands training their wives on how to paddle is, be real careful with comments and how you say it. Offering more support than critical comments is key. I saw the ha ha in the post, but most wives I have taught take hubby's every comment as serious.

Might be a good thing if you get her in a good intro to paddling multi day clinic, ideally one with girl instructors.

I totally agree with the going with a solo IK.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote