So, is anyone paddling the Black Canyon? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-03-2005   #1

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
So, is anyone paddling the Black Canyon?

Seems like such a waste, last year there was all this hype about the black running over a thousand and now I haven't heard of anyone gettin it done. I checked the weather for montrose and it has been in the 50's all week, so what's the deal?

badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2005   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I think some of us are doing Black Canyon Light (Gunny Gorge) on Saturday. Water's a boiling 36 degrees. If we make it happen, I'll post something Monday. I'm curious about how icy it would be in the hole.
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
We ran Gunny Gorge Saturday and there wasn't even a speck of ice anywhere. Flows were 1080, water 36 degrees, and the air temp was probably high 40's to low 50's. The sun was out strong though, so it never seemed very cold. There was a little surf, but not much, mostly on-the-fly kind of stuff. I think at triple the flow some of the features could really start to have some excellent waves. Mostly it was just cool to check out a new run. FYI, the fishing was slow, too. Surprising since you almost have to arm yourself in the Black just to keep the lunkers at bay.

I think the Black is good to go for those who can deal with the cold water. I don't think even the narrows section would have any ice in it judging from the general feel of what we saw in the area. It's mighty cold when you flip though so obey the rules and stay out of the Principal's Office!
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2005   #4

crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
wanna go "get 'er done" badkins?.....i'm in....i've been running it thru the crane(cranium for you scientific folks!) for a bit now! .... i feel the ice dams may have melted away with the increased flows....calling rangers today to gather info....."perfect" flows....my concerns are not the h20 temps, not the air temps, available sunlight?(zip), nor the portage(except for some leg breaker holes covered by snow) or the ivy....there may be ice formed along the banks in some areas....that's ok for most of the eddies...some "situations" may develop at others....several pop into mind....that's my concern.....hey, but that's adventure right!? the added "bonus" of a six mile-downhill-hike(portage because you will have your boat right!) down crystal road to the put-in will probably have to be done in the dark-pre-boating hours of the morning.....if the rangers were nice they might bring your bike/extracycle back up the put-in road to the "entry booth" that the nice rangers use to collect fees....this is where your truck will be.....that would save you hours and energy, which may prove helpful down river! next weekend? staying upright at 1000+ might be tough....that's why they make skull caps....who wants to go in the HOLE?
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #5

crested butte, Colorado
crystal road is closed due to rockfall(as usual)....waiting for the BLM GUY to call me back about possible open dates.,.varies due to weather/precip...sure would be fun to get after it...i'm tracking down an extra-cycle just in case it may be a bit before the road opens.....
Old 03-11-2005   #6

crested butte, Colorado
got the call yesterday.....2 weeks until they will open crystal road....bummer!...ripping steeps this weekend...anybody game for next weekend? i'll hire a shuttle bunny to pick us up at chukar campground($50 US).....warner trail, the "shortcut" takeout would be a nightmarish-knee blowin'-ankle/boat&ball breakin'-torture-fest with the snow and mud....i think moving cautiously(looking for ice) would take no longer than 10 hours(no epics) plus the hike out chukar...plus the bike ride with boat to the put-in......and you have portages to keep you warm!...guess what/ you get to RUN A WATERFALL!!!! come on, whio wants to go run a RIVER?
Old 03-19-2005   #7

crested butte, Colorado
...could anybody be so delightful and nice(bored and whacked)... to accompany me(sketch) on a one day(might feel like 2) paddle of the rather GORGEous gunnsion river(blackhole)...located just outside of the gem city of...MONTROVIA(montrose)? what a lavish occassion it might be!!!(cold,wet and no cocktails).....the hotty-limo driver(shuttle bunny in a wife beater) at the WORLD CLASS TRAVEL DESTINATION(chukar campground)will have a mass of BEAUTIFUL WOMEN in extravagant clothing(PBR in bottles)...awaiting us!!!!...the world(couple of buddies) will be saying our names for years to come(couple of days)...outside magazine already wants "rights to the movie"(nobody gives a fuck)....BRAD PITT will play YOUR part(get a clue bud)!!!! HALLY BERRY will play the shuttle bunny(gulp)......JACK N. will get my part(yeh right)!!!!.........who say's you can't put a dress on a PIG........!!!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2005   #8

oh yeah
milo,

i've never paddled it but would love to get on it. i'm only available weekdays though, like a monday-thursday run would be best. what's your schedule like? how warm isn't it down there?

let me know.
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005   #9

crested butte, Colorado
yo danger....i could pull off a week day run..i'll work the weekend or something...do you have a trailer for a kayak or an extra cycle...the road is still closed...at this point in the game(season) it would be FULL ON down there!...shit will be big in there!!! cold? yes!! fun? maybe!....are you familiar with the logistics and time frame needed to pull it off? i can pay one of my students to come and get us from chukar...it is an easy hike at 2.5 miles and 900 vert. out chukar trail...if serious call me...and i'll fill you in on what to expect....970-275-1890 let's go get it DANGER....with a name like that you'll be fine!!!!
Old 03-20-2005   #10

oh yeah
milo,

i sent you a pm
-dan
danger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black canyon