So how long am I out? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-19-2013   #1

North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
So how long am I out?

It's official. Tore something in the rotator cuff in my shoulder. Damn it. Tried to avoid the dr- but couldn't any longer. So he says "maybe" by June it should be good enough to row but when I explained a draw stroke he went pale and said maybe not....

Cannot believe this- nearly rafting season and I will likely miss high water. If I'm real nice to it- how long am I likely out for? Just a tear- didn't go all the way through so won't need surgery.

Thanks

Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013   #2

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I had a similar injury after a bike accident a few summers ago where I went down on my arm. I was able to manage my guide strokes at summer flows with custies with a little stroke modification, but could not brace in my kayak nor could I lift my arm above my shoulder. I took lots of Ibuprofen and went in for massages every two weeks to work it out. I was back to normal in time for the first freeze. Taking it easy, massage and ice were the best things I could do for it. There is no avoiding it, the easier you take it the quicker your chances of healing.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Are you going to do PT? I highly recommend it. Not only will they help you recover faster with less risk to additional damage, they'll be able to guide you best on when you can step into the water again. So sorry to hear this, but best of luck to you.
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013   #4

Bazzaro, Free
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
PT? I highly recommend it.
x2, A good PT will get you on the water the fastest and have better answers for you.

Hope you didn't screw up your beer drinking shoulder
Old 03-20-2013   #5

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I did something similar launching a dumb-ass high brace after going over the handlebars at Big Brother. I was out of my boat for a solid two months, then tentative for another two months, and in the last two months I'm getting back into form.

I did PT, Massage and a couple of Cortisone shots. I started with rest for 6 weeks and a shot at 4 weeks, then started PT twice a week. That stopped making progress after a month, so I went for another shot and started doing PT twice a week and a deep tissue massage once a week. The massage therapist was the thing that really broke down the wall for me. I made huge gains from there, enough to complete my goal of paddling for a week straight in Ecuador.

Now, 6 months and a day from the injury, I'm at about 95%. I don't notice it much in day to day life, but when I have an awkward roll I feel it.

PS - I really hope you didn't screw up your beer drinking and ass wiping shoulder. That was just plain depressing wiping with the left.

PPS - This was the most emotionally challenging injury I've ever had. It is so hard on an outdoorsman's psyche to not be able to do anything but hike. No skiing, no rafting, no kayaking, no climbing and so on. Make sure you get out for walks with the dog and have your friends over a lot.

I wish you luck, and be patient!
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #6

at my house, Montana
Oh, I don't intent to discount your account Brendo, as I have used the "magic shot" cortisone and love it in many circumstances. And I'm aware that each person's situations is different. However one thing that I think is important to be aware of is that cortisone actually prevents healing, and the injection does slight damage to the tissue. So while it is a dream for inflammation/irritation, if you have damage you need to repair, it may not be the best solution. I was not aware of this the first time I used cortisone, so I just want to pass the information along. I'm no medical person, so I may not be 100% correct here, it's just my understanding. If someone knows more or different, I'd love to hear it.
Old 03-20-2013   #7

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Laura - In my particular case, I needed to use the shot to knock down the inflammation enough to get on with the rest of my program. I hated doing it because of the potential for damage. Mileage for the OP may vary.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #8

bruceton mills, West Virginia
eh.. maybe not the boater friends....

Hey Brando -- just to play devils advocate a bit.. I certainly took my dogs for long walks when my shoulder was blown out.. but my kayaking friends were pissing me off....

"hey man... guess what we just did... it was awesome... you would have loved it...."

-- yeah... for those 6 months.. I hated them
mwunder424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #9

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Find a PT who is a boater. They're often outdoorsy people, but a PT who understands that its runoff season will help get you there quickest--but not too soon--or too late.

Sorry to hear that. Time to get your oldest on the sticks so you can at least ride on the easy class I-II's!!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #10

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I can't say how long you'll be out but after two knee surgeries before 18 all I can say is pt pt pt. The more you rush it the more likely your gonna hurt it.. I learned that the hard way. You may miss runoff but I've missed the last three so quit complaining haha!
Peelsauce is offline   Reply With Quote