Snake River Canoe Dump - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-29-2012   #1

Saratoga, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1985
Snake River Canoe Dump

Thought I'd throw this out there for ridicule. I'm in an open canoe so there's no Kayak Vs. Rafter debate, I couldn't figure out if I was supposed to drain or not drain so I just left the cooler at home, and after I up-righted the canoe I sat on the bank waiting for a turkey leg that never came, so I'm pretty sure I about lost my life that day..... So I'm not even sure it belongs here

The real reason for the post is I'd like to know what the name of these rapids are. They were about 25min into my trip. Also if anyone has a list of the names in order and approx time form put in, that would be very helpful. Besides the obvious ones (Big Kahuna, Lunch Counter, Champagne) the rest kind of blur together for me.

Thanks All!

Butsee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2012   #2

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
That's called "Thread the Needle," a.k.a. The Dream Seam/Million Dollar Fishing Hole/Snake River Monster drop. You're less than 1/3 of the way down the run. Maybe you should concentrate less on your GeekPro film footage and more on improving your canoeing skills..... just sayin'.
Old 07-29-2012   #3

Saratoga, Wyoming
True true, I deserve that. That was my first run with a GoPro, wanted something to watch since we have zero water in southern Wyoming so I broke down and bought one. It was also my first dump in about nine years, however. The remainder of the trip went without incident. Still no excuse for dumping on what should have been a straight forward set of rapids I know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2012   #4

other side, of the mountain
Paddling Since: 1994
Caught your upstream edge.... It happens. I'll be up there during the weekend if the 19th of Aug if you're looking for another open boater to paddle with.
Old 07-30-2012   #5

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butsee1 View Post
True true, I deserve that. That was my first run with a GoPro, wanted something to watch since we have zero water in southern Wyoming so I broke down and bought one. It was also my first dump in about nine years, however. The remainder of the trip went without incident. Still no excuse for dumping on what should have been a straight forward set of rapids I know.
So, post some other parts like Cottonwood...
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #6

Saratoga, Wyoming
Smurf - Thanks for the invite, unfortunately last week was probably the only time I'll be able to get out and paddle this summer. Stupid grown up responsibilities. When in the hell did that happen???

john - Here are all of the clips that have any sort of rapids in them. Like I said before, I'm not sure of any of the names except Big K and LC. And now "Thread the Needle" (thanks WyoPadlr1, I'll be sure to dedicate any GeekPro footage to bettering my feeble paddling skills). They are all in chronological order. After dumping earlier and worrying about getting to the take out on time, I did chicken out on Big K a little and take the sneak to the right that you mentioned earlier. Thanks for that info.

**Warning** compared to what is normally posted on here, this video is pretty lame.....

Old 07-30-2012   #7

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
Ahhh, you know it's all in good fun. Besides, when you said you were throwing it out there for ridicule in your o.p., I was only toooo happy to oblige you. At least you waited till the Snake was low and warm to get in your swimming practice.
I've rescued far too many swimming Boy Scout canoe instructors down there when it's a lot higher and colder. Lemmings.

Tags
canoe