Snagging canceled permits with Rec.Gov? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-27-2011   #1

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Snagging canceled permits with Rec.Gov?

I have a friend with a Main Salmon permit that has to cancel due to up coming surgery. I want to get his permit, but with rec.gov in charge of permit, I wonder how quickly canceled permit get reposted. Has anybody had any luck getting a friends canceled permit? If so, got any tips on how to make it happen.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011   #2

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
My memory says that they repost randomly within 24 hours. So you can either stay up all night or roll the dice.

I had my wife cancel a permit around 11pm and I got up at 4am and snagged it. She could not make the trip and had a better date than I did. After I picked up her's I canceled mine. I think it hung out for a few days not being picked up (low water MF).

A little later in the season fewer people are watching the site and closer to the trip the odds of someone else being able to pull it together on time are not very good.

My advice is to wait to cancel then try the late night trick.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Don't wait until the 3 week deadline, that's when people are really looking for the cancellations. The sooner you do it, the less competition you will have.
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011   #4

Is there a resource on the internet for how to get river permits or cancellations or anything? I've always been a kayaker I have no idea where to get permits. I've always been invited by people with permits for MF or Grand or Selway or whatever but I never knew how they got them. Actually we just put on the MF, did'nt really have a permit. Maybe someone can put all the sites and info into one place?

Thanks,
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011   #5

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
If I knew how to do this I wouldn't share it
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011   #6

TOUCHDOWN, Mississippi
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by craporadon View Post
Is there a resource on the internet for how to get river permits or cancellations or anything? I've always been a kayaker I have no idea where to get permits. I've always been invited by people with permits for MF or Grand or Selway or whatever but I never knew how they got them. Actually we just put on the MF, did'nt really have a permit. Maybe someone can put all the sites and info into one place?

Thanks,
Rivergeek.com has a lot of info on when/where to apply.

And really? You poached the MFS?
OleMissBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011   #7

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
If its a medical issue, then it seems like he should be able to transfer to another member of the group. Before trying the "drop and scoop" routine and hoping you can get it, you should consider calling the river office and exhausting all other options you have.

Good luck,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011   #8

Thanks for the rivergeek link. That has great info on who to contact. Where do you see when to contact them each year?

slamkal, you sound like a surfer or something. I have seriously NEVER had someone comment like that in whitewater. I have never experienced that attitude in 15 years on the river. I also surf a lot and I hate the attitude that comes with it and love whitewater for not having that attitude. That seriously makes me very concerned about what type of person you are. You are bringing an attitude that is very unwelcome on this forum and on the river. Please stop being a river runner and go become a surfer. Because your type are not welcome here and are not welcome on the river.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011   #9

Not a river guide, Ft. FunK
Quote:
Originally Posted by craporadon View Post
Thanks for the rivergeek link. That has great info on who to contact. Where do you see when to contact them each year? .
"Waaah nobody will hold my hand through the permit process waah!"

I'm with slamkal,its every man for himself in the permit game....nobody owes you permits just b/c you're a boater....
Old 03-28-2011   #10

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
easy there craporadon. I forgot my smiley, and I've got a wry sense of humor. My friends would tell you I'm the first one to help a fellow boater in need.

does this help?

or perhaps better with a wink maybe?

slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote