Smith River Montana GPS for camps Info - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-24-2013   #1

Jenks, Oklahoma
Smith River Montana GPS for camps Info

Ladies and Gentlemen:

A good friend scored a mid June permit for Smith River Montana.

I am doing research on the trip. I found a Montana State parks PDF map that shows the camps and miles from the putin. I have a GPS and would like to get the waypoints for these camps and mile posts.

So far no luck doing google searches.

If any one has the GPS info on Smith River or knows a boaters message board in the area that I can post to, I would appreciate any thing I can find out.

Thanks in advance

Dave

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013   #2

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
I'm going down the smith April 11. I'll bring gps and mark waypoints of our camps. The group I'm going with has done it a bunch and knows the good camps. This will be my 2nd trip, the first one is pretty fuzzy.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
Thanks Spider, hope the weather co operates and you all have a great trip.
dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013   #4

Any thing is better than the weather in north Dakota. It will be good fishing this time. Our last trip it rained hard for the whole trip. 1 fish 8" and we were fishing most of the time. Sounds like you have a prime slot.
Old 03-24-2013   #5

Jenks, Oklahoma
Yup, a couple of us are fly rod fisherman. Having said that if it is legal to catch for the frying pan - we may bring a couple ultra light spin rigs as well.

Our first time up there and pretty excited about it.
Old 03-24-2013   #6

I used to fly fish a lot. Now that I own a boat I find myself on the oars instead of fishing. When I fish now I use an ultra light spinner with rapalas, it's way easier to break out and stow away on the flats. You can keep fish on the smith just check the reg's on size restrictions. Are you comming from OK? If so you should hit the belt creek sluice box canyon. It's close to the smith and a super cool day float.
Old 03-24-2013   #7

Heltown, Montana
Paddling Since: 1993
Nothing will come up on ya too fast. The majority of camps have signs. I have a list with what your looking for and will try to post it or send it to you. It's on an old drive. We will hit Belt Cr sometime.....probably...around 6/1,2,3..maybe earlier not later. As Spider eluded, it is a killer float, IMO better geology.
I tried to give you a sample of pics of Belt Crk but I always get some F*in error msg. Not sure what the problem is...
Billy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #8
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Somewhere on the web there is a comparison of Smith River flows as a barometer for Belt Cr. We ran belt last year on 6-09 and 6-10 with the smith reading 875 and 775 respectively. The flow didn't feel that different on belt, but I would consider either day bordering on the bottom end of worth it. The canyon is gorgeous, even with the mess all the mining left. I would look for the smith to 800 to bother. We saw a couple of groups out, mostly fishing types who weren't having any luck.

Also there is a ton of wood ready to move. Any kind of major flow event could shut down the whole run because of the nature of the lower box canyon.
Old 03-24-2013   #9

Whitefish, Montana
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
Nothing will come up on ya too fast. The majority of camps have signs. I have a list with what your looking for and will try to post it or send it to you. It's on an old drive. We will hit Belt Cr sometime.....probably...around 6/1,2,3..maybe earlier not later. As Spider eluded, it is a killer float, IMO better geology.
I tried to give you a sample of pics of Belt Crk but I always get some F*in error msg. Not sure what the problem is...
Pls post it! I have a permit for May 31st. Gracias!
Happy406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
That's when we hit it last year. Sweet camp spot on the right with a surf wave and Eddie. Pm me when you go my birthday is the 3rd I was planning to make it a tradition and doing it again this year.

Hope the logs don't cause an issue. I always pack a chainsaw for wood anyway.