Slovenia - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-07-2012   #1

Golden, Colorado
Slovenia

We're planning a shredder trip to Slovenia end of May/beginning of June. Any body been there that can recommend good Class III/IV runs or know of a good reference?

blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012   #2

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
The Soca river, northern Slovenia, is one of the most beautiful and fun rios I've ever seen/paddled. Many different runs up to class 5+. The Julian Alps (eastern most Alps), east meets west, one million died in trench warfare in that valley in WW1. Tony Prijon has a shop/school there. Travertine clear water, limestone sieves and undercuts. Its been ten years since I've been there. My maps and guide book are back in Maine. Lots of euro paddlers take holiday there. Info on playak.com. Amazing place, so glad I got to paddle there. Venice is not too far and the further down valley you go the more Italian and Mediterranean it feels. Sorry I don't have more for you.

soca
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Peter Knowles has written a couple of. guidebooks for the Alps. UK RiverGuides has a write up of rivers they ran in Slovenia and AUstria includes maps.

Have only passed through Slovenia and Austria definetely very beautiful.If you had time Croatia is close with awesome coastline and inland travertine wonderlands at Plitvice and Krka parks, sort of Europe's. Agua Azul. Love Italy but Venice blows.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012   #4

Denver, Colorado
Oh yeah, have a great trip ! ...love travel.....especially cool you are taking a small inflatable....you should be able to rent a hardshell in Austria and around the Soca to get your kayak fix
Old 04-07-2012   #5

Yep, Soca is the center of the universe for paddling in Slovenia, emerald water, Union beers and hot chicks with really bad teeth. There is a really cool steep creek nearby with a clean 30 footer. You will dig the Soca for sure, it's a little paradise.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012   #6

Golden, Colorado
Awesome. Thanks for the tips. We have a house rented in Zaga for the first 5 days which is right in the middle of the Soca. So glad to hear we're hitting the right spot. Not sure if the wifey will be up for the 30 footer in a shredder but you never know. I wasn't too jazzed about Venice either but now we're planning on blowing up the shredder and exploring on our own at night or early morning. Should be pretty cool. Just need to learn some Italian love songs.

Does anyone know of any not-to-be-missed runs nearby after our week on the Soca?

Also, would a drysuit be recommended for the Soca that time if year?

Thanks for the tips.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012   #7

Denver, Colorado
well i was a teenager when i went there not that into glass factories and romantic stuff,surprisingly little historic stuff for how powerful and long lived they were...with your wife is different....the watery aspect is cool .... i would suspect that alpine water is frigid then...
Old 04-08-2012   #8

There's a lot in northern Italy/southern Austria. Most I know is too advanced for a shredder, however the Inn river through Switzerland, Austria and Germany has miles of Class 2-3. You could easily do 3-5 days on it, just pulling over and staying at small villages along the river.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Been there in June 1999 in a very hot week, but the water was extremely cold. It is actually so cold, that you wont find any growing bacteria at all in the clear water. So as some of the take-outs require 10-15min hike out. But definitively one of the most remarkable rivers you won't ever forget. We did not hit any other creeks/rivers that time so I am not sure if there are any hidden jewels around. But the nearby streams are known in a canyoning community where you climbing down and sliding the little waterfalls.
kabzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #10

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Yeah, cold water. There are outfitters around if you need gear. I paddled the Salza River in Austria on one of my trips. Its in the eastern end of Austria, water supply for Vienna. Very beautiful alpine run. I liked Venezia for a quick hit. We parked, took a vaporetto (water bus on the Grand Canal) to San Marco Square, stayed one night in an old hotel off the square (found it in The Lonely Planet Guide, a great resource IMO), walked the city for 2 days and left. I remember the water in the canals as being as dirty as you would expect in semi stagnant water in a big city. No flipping the shredder in any boat wakes... The tourist industry there is oppressive but I found the place and its history amazing to see and feel. A nice meal on the waterfront with the wife would be expensive but something to remember for a long time. Had a meal with my late brother and my son at the Rialto Bridge that rates 5 stars in my memories. Give us a trip report when you get back.

P.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote