Slater Creek Teaser - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-14-2007   #1

Dreamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Slater Creek Teaser

its just around the corner, the rest of the run is now clean.....

danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2007   #2
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
sweet footage! but, that looks kind of painful...how did the 25' flat boof feel?
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #3
NHINDS

I would have to say Kevin Fisher landed pretty flat to but I must have hit a patch of greenish water. You could hear the boom, it was a serious impact. Should have leaned forward more I guess, but did not really take a stroke even.

Have you ever canned it off a big booter when snowboarding and landed directly on your ass? The shock can sort of travel into your innerds, I got the wind knocked out of me and was coughing to get my breath. Felt alright after a minute or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2007   #4
rhm

steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
nick,

what are you doing up so late? shouldn't you be in bed already?

hugh
rhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #5

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Bitchin name for a waterfall...but I'm pretty sure Mario Lopez would've styled it.
Old 02-16-2007   #6
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
NHINDS - yeah, definitely know the feeling you describe. I landed completely flat from a 20 foot seal lauch on to total green water. It was a shocking feeling, some white light in the brain, but thankfully I don't think I got too much shorter....

That drop looks to have a serious auto-boof lip, tricky to not boof, but easy to pitch over if you get too aggressive trying to get the bow down.

How long does slater run, any thoughts on if it will still have water towards the end of May?
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #7

steamboat, Colorado
Start watching in April. The hitch might be whether the road is clear all the way up.

You definitely want at least 300 cfs, preferrably 500. I think we did it about the middle of May. The road was clear for another mile or so past the the put in, not much. Here's last year's runoff:

http://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/co/nw...rred_module=sw
latenightjoneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #8
NHINDS

Give us a call at paddlinglife.net when you come. We love to take time off and go boating on the goods with folks. A team can be assembled in the matter of minutes. That thing is a gem and the rest of the creek is serious as well, just lean a little forward, but not too forward. It is shallow as hell in there, far left and all right. Mayo, Kevin Thompson, Kevin Fisher, Joe Carberry, Piano, and a few others have labored to clear the wood. Another chainsaw, then runable creek in Routt. How many does that make? Fish, Upper Fish, Mad Creek, The Upper Elk, Slater Creek, King Solomon Creek, and a few others. Man that is a lot of canola oil in the river!

Nick Hinds

www.otcouch.com
www.paddlinglife.com
www.fateddys.com
Old 02-16-2007   #9
KT

Mario wouldn't even have been done puttin' on his singlet before Zak ran the shiat and took Kelly, Jessica and Lisa back to the truck...

But the name was fitting.
KT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007   #10

steamboat, Colorado
Local boater and newspaper writer, Dave Shively, just dropped a story on Slater.

link: The Steamboat Pilot & Today: Slater Creek
latenightjoneser is offline   Reply With Quote