Skookumchuck TR and planning - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-07-2015   #1

Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
Skookumchuck TR and planning

"Two days at Skook is better than no days at Skook" was the philosophy that inspired a December trip to Skookumchuck in British Columbia. It was cold, salty, beautiful, awesome, and cold.

I wrote up a trip report that morphed into a "how to" plan your own trip to Skook. It's definitely a worthwhile trip any time of the year.

Link: Trip Report

I tried to include most of the things that will help folks to plan a trip there, but let me know if you have other questions about the area.

Advertisement

Old 01-07-2015   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
Nice detail. Thanks for the report.
Old 01-07-2015   #3
gh

pnw, Colorado
How long did it take you to get through customs and hows the water temp? The Tofino folks are saying they are having warmer than normal water temps this year.
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2015   #4

Hood River, Oregon
We had a 30 minute wait on each end of customs, but breezed right by when our turn came up.

Water temps definitely didn't feel very cold. I started both days wearing pogies but ditched them for bare hands after about 9am. So not too cold. Drysuit was definitely awesome to have, but Leif was just using a dry deck (dry top and sray skirt combo) with neoprene pants.

Have you ever been up there?
Old 01-08-2015   #5

Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
This is full of great info! Thanks David. Skook is very high on my 2015 list...

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015   #6
gh

pnw, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spiegel View Post
We had a 30 minute wait on each end of customs, but breezed right by when our turn came up.

Water temps definitely didn't feel very cold. I started both days wearing pogies but ditched them for bare hands after about 9am. So not too cold. Drysuit was definitely awesome to have, but Leif was just using a dry deck (dry top and sray skirt combo) with neoprene pants.

Have you ever been up there?
Nope, didnt realize Skook was that close to where I am going in March. I am spending a week in Tofino.
Old 01-08-2015   #7

Hood River, Oregon
It looks like there are some surfable evening tides from the 20-22 of March. Nothing too fast– looks like 11.7 knots to 12.9 knots and the last day will be pushing day light a little bit. The wave won't get huge with those tides, but it will definitely be in.