skirt repair vs. retirement ??? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-23-2007   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
skirt repair vs. retirement ???

Got a snap dragon skirt. Noticed yesterday that the neoprene has started to come off of the big rubber band type deal that forms the seal on the cockpit. The hole is on the front of the skirt about 1/2" wide, and its the stitching that holds the neoprene to the band that appears to have come apart. The skirt has probably seen 100-120 river days, and there are several nicks and partial tears on the skirt, but nothing else major other than some fraying and wear on the cockpit rim part of the skirt. I'm tempted to try and sew it up and aquaseal it, but I'm wondering if its just time to get a new skirt. I'm a bit worried that a patch job might come apart in a couple weeks to a month at a bad time, and that I'd be better off biting the bullet now and getting a new skirt.

Any comments on skirt repair vs. retirement and how well repairs can hold up?

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2007   #2
JRC

Aquaseal it, worked for me to last season and the skirt is still going strong. IF you have a rubber rand it will re-seal well, might be more of a challenge for a shockchord/bungeechord rand.

Snap dragon may fix it for you if you send it in. Wildwasser in Boulder repaired mine same day when the rand started peeling off... Then it was good as new.
JRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Mine has the bungee cord on it vs the rubber.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2007   #4
JRC

I have less experience working with a bungee chord... I would email snap dragon and see what they have to say.
JRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #5
White R. BC

Durango, Colorado
I have decks that I have repaired and still work good but use them roadside or for town runs/ playparks. That's so I can have the best stuff for the two week road trips or wilderness, "must make, no excusses" runs. But good idea to look at the repair kit too.
ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #6

talk to snapdraggon

if it is the stiching that is givin out it is the workmanship thing. if you buy a new skirt and you run some scarry shi... stuff.. then you should think about the rubber. i lost my new boat once because of the shock chord thing on a snapdraggon. definatley your choice but the mountian surf dur-o-ring is the best ive ever seen,, if you can find one.. and besides a new skirt kinda feels good, i just got one this last weekend, it is good to not have to worry about it.. fix the old one and use it as a spare
mommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #7

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
After putting Aquaseal on I also put a patch of "Iron Mend" over the Aquaseal. Aquaseal will more than likely be much stronger than the neoprene so theoretically you could end up with a bigger hole. So having the patch on as well will give the whole area strength. Confluence Kayaks sells it.

A good test on if you should replace is the color of your skirt. If it has faded significantly then it maybe a good idea to replace it.
benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Not sure how it will work right against the rand, but that iron mend stuff is really bomber. I've never used it over aqua seal, but that sounds like a good idea as well.
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #9

oh yeah
hey dave, is this product available on the front range? i hate paying shipping on a $10 product.

dan
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
According to an above post, confluence carries it. Call them and ask:

303 433 3676.

I bought some 12 years ago and it still seems to work. try that with aquaseal.

Dave
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote