SKETCHY want add inqueries - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-24-2012   #1

The Fort, Colorado
SKETCHY want add inqueries

Keep an eye out for scams in the want adds. I recieved a SUPER sketchy inquiry into one of my adds. And after exchanging an email with the sender, i'm certain it was a scam - likely overseas judging by the grammar.

whitewater_fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Here's how it usually goes....

Quote:
Hello Good Sir, Is the Item For Sale still available? I would like to send you a Certified Cashier's Cheque for $4,000 USD which should cover the purchase of your item and shipping to my agent and you will send me the balance after you have deducted the sale price and shipment cost...
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012   #3

The Fort, Colorado
Mine was a little more sophisticated, the author wanting to use PayPal.

Trust your instincts. If it feels fishy, it probably is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Can you give us some details? Paypal is a legitimate platform for payments and has protections against fraud - usually illegitimate folks run away as soon as you mention using paypal. How was their scam set up?
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012   #5

The Fort, Colorado
I noticed the initial email seemed bit odd, so i wrote him back answering his questions, deliberately leaving a few out to see if he responded. he didn't. i also told him i was wary this was a scam and to provide me a number so we could talk, and i have yet to get a reply.

His namewas "Skipper Scherff" the ONLY thing i could find on the internet regarding that name is a character from the John Grisham novel, The Client. also the first email i recieved was at 3:30 am, which seems like a really odd time, particularly when his response showed up at 11.

Not sure how Paypal could be involved, but there is enough circumstantial evidence to make me completely suspicious.

From the sender -

Thank you for your quick response, i am located in WA. i am buying this Remix 59 for my brother as a surprise gift, i am okay with the price due to my occupation as a marine engineer at this moment i am presently working offshore, sometimes access to regular emails and phone calls are very poor in offshore due to inefficiency of inmarsat and internet connections, fortunately the internet access is working averagely when i came across the advert of your Remix 59, i really want it to be a surprise by not disclosing it until the delivery is made to him, am sure he will be more than happy with it, i insisted on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online and i don't have internet banking too, but i can pay from my PayPal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address so i can make the payment as soon as possible, and if you don't have PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set it up at your bank or go onto http://www.paypal.com and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through..Notice you don't need to bother yourself about the shipment, i have a pick-up agent that will come for pick-up, they will also determine and secure the shipment, i will need you to provide me with the following information in order to facilitate the payment.

1.Your Full name.
2.Your PayPal Email Address.
3.Your phone number.
Old 10-24-2012   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
That sounds quite suspicious. Might be the first part of a phishing scam.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012   #7

Palisade, Colorado
here is the e-mail I just got...:

I am interested in buying your 14' wood McKenzie and would like to receive additional information about it, such as present condition, last asking price and pics if available, i will like to pay using PayPal. Here's my email-([email protected])

Regards.
Skipper Scherff.
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012   #8

The Fort, Colorado
Exactly the first one I got. I didn't respond to any of the questions, and he never followed up.
Old 10-24-2012   #9

I've seen a scam like this on Craigs List for car sales only they want to use Amazon for payments instead of Paypal.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012   #10

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by peak
here is the e-mail I just got...:

I am interested in buying your 14' wood McKenzie and would like to receive additional information about it, such as present condition, last asking price and pics if available, i will like to pay using PayPal. Here's my email-([email protected])

Regards.
Skipper Scherff.
I use paypal a lot for personal paypal transfers. If you log into paypal, start to make a $0.01 transfer to him. Usually the paypal screen will show name of the recipient. Dont complete the transaction

You probably use your email as your paypal address so he already has that

Just email him back and say you dont check email often so he is gonna need to give you a phone number to call him back if he wants any further details