Sizing Help - Remix 59 or 69? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-23-2014   #1

Asheville, North Carolina
Sizing Help - Remix 59 or 69?

Hey Everyone,

I am looking at getting my first whitewater kayak. I am a 27 year old male, 5'9 athletic built and weight 135 pounds. Looking at the Remix...reviews seem to say it's a good beginner boat but I won't grow out of it.

Wondering if I should get the 59 or the 69? I found a good deal for a used 69 but I don't want to get it if it's too big. I'm just at the bottom of the suggested weight range. I've paddled a Diesel 70 before and felt pretty comfortable...is that pretty in line with the Remix 69?

Any suggestions or thoughts would be really helpful. Thanks!

OtisRedding is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014   #2

Teacher
Most people boat up a size with the remix. So the 69 should a decent fit. I am 5'10" 165 and it is my favorite. I have students your size and many prefer the 69 over the 59.

Peter
Old 09-23-2014   #3
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Not to derail the decision making process, but do people really think the Remix is a good beginner boat? I think they're great boats, and I'd like a Remix myself, but I find that LL boats in general paddle funnily and favor the advanced paddler over the beginner.

That aside, I'd also recommend sizing up.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
It is funny that you mention that KSC, as I have had mixed feelings about LL boats myself. I have only paddled 2 of them for any extended period of time. I have paddled the LL Hoss and the LL CR 125. I really liked the Hoss, felt comfortable in it, it tracked well, caught eddies well, rolled well. However, the CR125 is by far my least favorite boat that I have ever paddled. I just could not get the CR 125 to do anything I wanted, and I know it was the boat because when I switched back to my old boat (Jackson 4 fun) everything was fine. A lot of people say the CR 125 is hard to roll but I didn't have any problems, if that is any consolation for it, I guess.

I have seen lots of people just have an absolutely awful time with the LL Visions as well. I know someone that bought a Remix because everyone raves about them online, and then completely hated it.

I am currently looking for a creeker/river runner and am considering the Stomper 90, but it seems that people have strongly mixed feelings on that boat as well. Just out of curiosity, KSC, how would you describe the "funny" handling of the LL boats?
BoozeJockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014   #5

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 98
Remix is a great boat for beginners and advanced paddlers. Lots of speed and good secondary stability. It may not be as easy to turn due to the length and speed but everything equals out IMO. I am 155 wish I had the 79 for overnighters 69 is my go to boat for everything. Hope this helps you out.if you want an honest suggestion i think the 69 would be great for you.

Booze jockey you are talking about the pre jefe and a cross river boat(no wonder you didn't like it) . Stomper is sick take one out and give it a try yourself.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014   #6

Asheville, North Carolina
Thanks for all of the feedback. I just picked up a used 69. I'm stoked. I'll let you all know how it works out.
OtisRedding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014   #7
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
Not to derail the decision making process, but do people really think the Remix is a good beginner boat? I think they're great boats, and I'd like a Remix myself, but I find that LL boats in general paddle funnily and favor the advanced paddler over the beginner.

That aside, I'd also recommend sizing up.
I think the remix is a decent beginner boat because it's relatively forgiving for beginners on beginner runs, it's comfortable, it tracks well and it carries speed. Difficulties arise when moving to stompy water where planning out of holes is neccessary to prevent the stern from catching because there is no volume to help you out. Additionally last minute changes to direction are harder because of the water line. On easy runs with lots of time to make corrects these drawback make much less of a difference.
Old 09-23-2014   #8

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Remix is a great boat for beginners and advanced paddlers. Lots of speed and good secondary stability. It may not be as easy to turn due to the length and speed but everything equals out IMO. I am 155 wish I had the 79 for overnighters 69 is my go to boat for everything. Hope this helps you out.if you want an honest suggestion i think the 69 would be great for you.

Booze jockey you are talking about the pre jefe and a cross river boat(no wonder you didn't like it) . Stomper is sick take one out and give it a try yourself.
Not to argue, but I paddled the CR125 coming from a 4Fun which is also a river running playboat, and the CR125 just was horrible. I feel I am comparing apples to apples when I am comparing the CR125 to a 4Fun. As for the Stomper, I am definitely going to try one out as soon as I can (I am also considering a Burn, Karma, or possibly a Mamba).
BoozeJockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014   #9

Teacher
yeah I do not think the CR series was LL best work. The remix has been a great beginner boat for the school. Super easy to roll, super comfortable, and carries the kids through. I think glen puts the complaints I hear well. Once you let it go somewhere you need to have a good stern draw to get it back. I also found it was very size specific. The 79 wandered on me. The 69 for my weight, size, and paddling style is my favorite all time boat. Creeking, teaching, or just catching eddies on shoshone.

I had a Stomper 80 and it definitely was a better creek boat. Super stable, easy to keep on line, very comfortable. I just liked the speed of the Remix better. Looking forward to the flying squirrel.
Old 09-24-2014   #10
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoozeJockey View Post
I am currently looking for a creeker/river runner and am considering the Stomper 90, but it seems that people have strongly mixed feelings on that boat as well. Just out of curiosity, KSC, how would you describe the "funny" handling of the LL boats?
Eh, I don't have a very concrete answer. I just find the edge balance to be different and they tend to spin out and be hard to correct and do unpredictable stuff if you're not continually driving the boat.

The Remix is fast but harder to control/correct and as people mentioned a little less forgiving on the backender (the latter not necessarily a bad thing for beginners in my opinion). I think for beginners hull speed is rarely the problem in comparison to control and keeping the boat straight and on line.

I'm sure it would work fine for beginners, just seems like if I was picking from the big bucket, there are better choices for beginners - that's all.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote